Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I work for an HVAC company, been there for a few years now, stuck with them through some bad times, but only ever been laid off once, and that was 2 months after I started with them, and even then it only lasted about 2 weeks. Its been up and down this year, the economy is just not great and this is a sign of that, and the company has severely scaled back. And by that, I mean I'm pretty much the only one left. All winter there were at least 5 more guys working, that I was overseeing, but they have all been given their slips, the last one over a month ago. And now... I think I am next...

GRRR! I have been sitting at home for 2 weeks now when it is supposed to be picking up, we are supposed to be coming into our busy season!

/blowoff

·
Registered
639 Posts
Idk if its just my phone, but at first I didn't see the "off soon" in the title. :p
Anywho, that sucks dude. Dont let it get to you. Things will work out

·
Registered
238 Posts
On the homepage the recent posts shortened this to "Probably getting laid..." so I came here with the thought "No way that type of teenage talk would be on here". So curiosity brought me here and afterwards saddened me at your problem. I wish you the best of luck bro if that happens to you, although it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to start sending out some resumes in case it did occur.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Sorry to hear about that man. Times are tough for a lot of people now days. And a lot of companies are suffering cause of that. All though, it doesn't necessarily mean you're getting laid off if everyone else got let go. It might just mean that you'll be really busy now been the only one there. Better than getting laid off if you ask me. In any case, best of luck man. Hang in there.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
:shrug:first thing i thought was this is busy time! even without new installs, it's still spring start up/mtce etc. keep hittin workopolis, properly trained hvac people are valuable:thumb2:maybe taleo.ca too. workopolis worked for me. hang in there!
edit if ya do get pink slip, ask right away for help with work reference, including of course your senior responsibilities. That sometimes helps employer to be incented to bring you back quickly

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the kind words. Actually been checking out kijiji and there are a few postings on there that might be worth checking out. Its not 100% for sure yet but it is certainly not looking good. A neighbour is part owner of a big landscaping company and he has been talking to me for a couple weeks seeing that we are slow and asking if I would come with him, so I am going to start going a couple days with him until I either know whats going on with my company or find something else. It doesn't pay as well as what I was doing, but at least its some work and I do love being outdoors, so I am grateful for the opportunity.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I will pray for you man so that things workout :grouphug:
Yes start looking for other options out there in case that happens. it is always good to have a back up plan

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

We are now pretty much busier than ever! Scrambling to try and hire some guys back... just finished my 2nd 14 hour day this week!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
every time i look at this thread on the home page... "probably getting laid" hahaha. good to hear that things worked out for you :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
every time i look at this thread on the home page... "probably getting laid" hahaha. good to hear that things worked out for you :)
Great news. Probably with all that dough your making, you will get &#@%. Just Kidding. Anyway, 45% of college graduates since 2006 are working full time. And most of those are underemployed. In America, kids are taught that if you get an education, you will never have to work. In Canada, if you work hard, you can get an education. Unless your job is paying you well. What I have noticed visiting Canada, is that employees in their respective fields earn about 40% more than their American counterpart. Canadians pay more taxes, but also save more, etc. I would like to go to one of the occupy meetings and ask the audience if they would work factory jobs until things get better. I bet you they wouldn't. And that's Americana in a nutshell.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
:thumb2:Good news:woot:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great news. Probably with all that dough your making, you will get &#@%. Just Kidding. Anyway, 45% of college graduates since 2006 are working full time. And most of those are underemployed. In America, kids are taught that if you get an education, you will never have to work. In Canada, if you work hard, you can get an education. Unless your job is paying you well. What I have noticed visiting Canada, is that employees in their respective fields earn about 40% more than their American counterpart. Canadians pay more taxes, but also save more, etc. I would like to go to one of the occupy meetings and ask the audience if they would work factory jobs until things get better. I bet you they wouldn't. And that's Americana in a nutshell.
I have cousins in Eau Claire and you pretty much seemed to sum them up. One of them is older than me and STILL in University! And will probably never get a job relating to what he is taking.

Thats not to say the same thing doesn't happen here, as it does still as well, but maybe not to the same extent. I think the job market is a little better here as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts