Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So you're looking for the best Subcompact on the market. What to do?

Go hit the car reviews to start? Well few reviewers are willing to put the Versa on top.
Most times it's the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, or the Mazda 2.

But what does Joe Public say? Apparently he's saying yes to the Versa
2 to 1 over the Fit , almost 5 to 1 over the Yaris, and nearly 10 to 1 over the Mazda 2!

These are YTD numbers for March 2011 sales.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/04/sales-subcompacts-march-2011/

So what do you know about the Versa that the "experts" are missing?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I don't know... but I bought my Versa based on the room inside. I'm 6'1 and like to stretch out when I drive, and I often carry passengers with me so it was important that it be comfortable for everyone, including those sitting behind me. My previous car was a Honda Civic. I had trouble squeezing in behind the drivers seat when it was adjusted how I drive. In the Versa, I had room to spare. Also, its availability, and with manual transmission kind of clinched it for me as well. I was buying in late summer of 2008 and so it was a kind of awkward in between, getting rid of the 2008 stock and just about to bring in the 2009's and I needed a car, right then. Fits were out of the question because they had none left anywhere with a manual transmission, and yaris's were tool long of a wait for my liking and the salesman was a tool. Also, I did not like the car. I found the Versa rode the best of the 3 as well.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
all I know is that I got the last pre-owned Versa on the lot, I knew they were going to get more but they do sell quick.

and at the end of the day you still have to go and drive based on the speed limit, people want more room, comfort, more MPG and pay less.

I don't like to talk down on what people drive. it takes you to work and back and that's all what matters.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm value driven. I've found that the reviewers group cars based on price not
trim. The Versa offers more in comfort and trim than these previously mentioned
cars all at a lower price. Plus I really wanted a manual and it was a six speed after all.

For me I started comparing the late model used Ford Focus and Toyota Corolla.
Then for the same money I found a new Versa with warranty, comfort, and value.

I'm 6'4" and my son is 6'7". He loves driving the Versa and has plenty of room
in the back seat too. That wasn't happening even in the Focus. Which was louder and tighter.

I guess what I saying is that the subcompact Versa offers value and comfort in its class and
holds it's own in comparasion to more expensive compacts like the Focus.

My dealer had around 15 new Versa's on the lot in March and in two weeks they were all gone.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
At the time I knew I wanted a hatch. I didn't want Honda or Mazda and was not really a fan of the matrix / vibe. Versa was still rare at the time and no one had heard of it. I test drove it, loved the CVT, and placed my order. I am still very happy with the car and have no plans to trade it in. If I buy something else it will be a second car, versa is not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Bought the Versa in 2008 cause it was a hatchback and plenty of rear legroom. After a while, had regrets about it being a 1.8 and slow for the geographical location I'm living at and high altitude. It's a good car for first time buyer, but I wouldn't purchase another one cause it's boring to drive and a CVT.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think I'd almost decided on the Versa after researching what car to buy before I'd even test drove it. After a test drive I had no doubt it was the car I wanted. Like everyone has been saying the size inside, mpg, comfort and best for all I actually found a 6 speed manual.. I must be a control freak but I enjoy changing the gears when I know it's right not the car lol.. I have to admit the price paid for the amount of car received is hard to beat really. Even if you bought a 1.6 base and added a few bits you still end up in a very nice new car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.