Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do some peopple say synthetic motor oil is very much more expensive than dino?

At Wal-mart, Quaker State Synthetic is $20.59 for 5 quarts.

Most Dino is close to $14-15.

The price difference is small.

For dino I change oil between 3-5K, for synthetic 5-7K.

The cost is a wash; think of the time saved.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
your getting ripped off then. Mobil 1 full synthetic I can buy a 5 quart bottle at walmart for 25 bucks.
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm paying 38.00 dollars for an oil change every 3,000 miles

so if I put Mobil 1 full synthetic, and pay 25.00 dollars for 5 quart bottle then I don't have to change the oil until 7,000 miles? how long does it last?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I don't think the Quaker State is full synthetic...

The full synthetics (amsoil,mobil 1) that I use are $15/quart.
I don't know if quaker state is full or not but $15 a quart for M1 is crazy.

your getting ripped off then. Mobil 1 full synthetic I can buy a 5 quart bottle at walmart for 25 bucks.
Actually where I am it's less then $25 at walmart. It's actually only a few dollars more then the store brand synthetic.

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm paying 38.00 dollars for an oil change every 3,000 miles

so if I put Mobil 1 full synthetic, and pay 25.00 dollars for 5 quart bottle then I don't have to change the oil until 7,000 miles? how long does it last?
Actually if you read your manual you should NOT be changing every 3k miles. At the minimum it states 3,750 miles oil changes. But there is an extended oil change option if you fit the criteria and that is every 7,500. All of this is on regular dino oil.

I'm currently running 10k mile oil changes on synthetic

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Keep in mind I am in Canada... Everything is more expensive here.

EDIT: it's $15 per Litre, not quart. My bad. Although a Litre and quart are pretty much the same.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
DOH!! Should have seen the canada part!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yeah... the only full synthetics available around here are mobil 1 and amsoil. So with a filter and the oil, oil changes cost me about $70, not including my time. And I do them myself.

Everything is more expensive and more taxes here... gotta pay for the "free" healthcare somehow lol.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Everything is more expensive and more taxes here... gotta pay for the "free" healthcare somehow lol.
YUUUP!!!! Here A LOT of people feel the government should pay for their heathcare even if they can afford it..and the government paints it as if they have the money to pay for everyone's healthcare, and I'm sure they can as long as they raise taxes anyway...sorry. that's why I don't watch news sometimes

Anyway, I just go by what Valvoline instant oil change says but now I'm thinking about changing to full synthetic to save some money :ihih:

I'm currently running 10k mile oil changes on synthetic
Are you using Mobil 1 full Synthetic? or a different brand?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I use walmart branded full synthetic. I been using it because it use to be $17.50 USD but it has crept up to around $21 so I might use something else as the cost savings just isn't there anymore. I also use purolator Pure One oil filter.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I get whatever full synthetic is on sale. Usually $20-25 for 4.73 or 5L. Due for a change now:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read that Quaker State UD, Valvoline, Castrol edge, and Pennzoil Syn and wal-mart Syn are all class III based.

Mobile 1 is different.

But Mobile 1, Valvoline and Castrol are all about $25-27 5-quart range at Walmart.

QS and Super Tech about the same price $21.

I think QS is the best deal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use walmart branded full synthetic. I been using it because it use to be $17.50 USD but it has crept up to around $21 so I might use something else as the cost savings just isn't there anymore. I also use purolator Pure One oil filter.
Super Tech Syn has become more expensive than Quaker State UD Syn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.