Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I did alot of searching on the CVT and I see people complaining that they blow up. I also see nissan redesigned the CVT this year?
Do you guys think they will last to 200k miles on an unmodified versa?
I plan on driving one tomorrow.

thanks

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
theres somthing on the forum about nissan just uped the warrenty again I cant speak from any expereance I have the auto but I did drive a 2010 sl with the cvt and I liked it alot more then the auto I have now.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I really like my CVT, it sometimes can slip and do weird things when applying heavy power on inclines with the O/D on, or when the wheels slip in the wet (although I think newer versas have TCS?), but other than that I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My CVT is good, but in the morning when its cold, the rpms don't drop and the CVT doesn't kick in right away. Maybe after 5-10 minutes of driving it does. I never had that problem with my altima CVT. I could start it cold and put it gear, and it would engage. I wonder why the versa is like that?

·
Registered
20 Posts
originally when the Versa first came out, i think it was a 60k mi/5yr warranty on the driveline. everyone who's rolling a CVT now gets a 100k mi/10yr, i believe- including those who have bought theirs years ago.

and even though the CVT is pretty smooth, the mpg seems to be much better with the traditional AT. but if you're looking at an S vs SL trim, the rest of the equipment included in the SL vs the S, imho, is worth it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
120k actually.

Had mine replaced under warranty at around 40,000 miles.

·
Banned
455 Posts
There is really nothing wrong with the cvt. Nissan keeps upping the warranty on them due the the newer type of tranny that people are not used to. It sometimes turns them away. Upping the warranty on them help to re assure there product. Yes there has been some cases of them sucking but there is always that chance. If it does your warranty back you up. Un modded you should be fine! Even modded you will be fine. They are meant for mpg and that's about it. I think a 3.5 Altima boosted could only handle about 7 pounds of boost. More and the cvt started to give way. The cvt in the mr motors aren't the strongest thing out there but they do the job with amazing mpg and smooth ride. Some people put a trans cooler on them to help out with the launch lag

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
If your in Canada the warranty is 200,000kms or 10 years. No issues with mine so far. 4 years, 62k on her.
^big reason why we got Altima cvt:thumb2: all good

·
Registered
66 Posts
originally when the Versa first came out, i think it was a 60k mi/5yr warranty on the driveline. everyone who's rolling a CVT now gets a 100k mi/10yr, i believe- including those who have bought theirs years ago.
Important to note that is only for the CVT itself, does not extend the warranty on the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like the CVT, original concept developed by Leonardo Da Vinci, simple designs used in snowmobiles, lawn tractors (hydrostatic) believe the first car munufacturer to use it in recent history was DAF (Netherlands) in the fifties. Fewer moving parts than a "normal" automatic. Takes a little getting used to in terms of getting the best bang for the fuel buck. In my very humble opinion it is likely at least as reliable as any other transmission and possibly a little better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.