Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got slightly more than 2K on the odometer now, so I think it warrants a quick review. 2K is more than enough time/miles to offer a comprehensive update. Here goes:

The fuel economy is simply awesome. Once the engine is fully broken in (perhaps around 10-15K), I don't anticipate anything less than 40 if I drive all highway or 33 if I drive all city. On my third tank of gas, I got 34.2 with mostly highway driving. The two tanks when I drove mostly city, I got 29.0 and 29.2 mpg. My last tank, which was about 40% highway and 60% city, I achieved 33 mpg. The increases are notable after every new tank.

With the exception of the tail lights, I still love the looks of the V. I always take a few moments before getting in!

Rattles are getting worse and worse. Yeah, I know - it's an economy car. But my friend's Yaris, with 56K, has no rattles. And she mashes the pedal everywhere - even over broken roads. I crawl over bumpy roads. If I go over bump at higher speeds, it sounds like the entire dash shifts and rattles.

Foam is starting to become visible from where the dash meets the windows on the driver's side. Will have to tuck them in with a credit card when I have time.

My driver's side window is loose. I hear clicks whenever the V goes over bumps. Should be an easy fix at the dealership.

Engine still whines/whistles. This is becoming unbearable. Music at volume 20 doesn't drown it out. Without the whine/whistle, the V would be an awesome, quiet ride.

Gas lid pops open when I'm hosing the car down with pressure washers at the car wash. Kinda disturbing.

Weak ass headlights. Definitely need to upgrade them.

The handling of the V sucks ass. I can't throw myself into any turns or bends with confidence. When I do, I'm like halfway off the seat. Considering a strut bar once the semester's over. The V has one of the floatiest rides I've ever encountered. Doesn't feel planted or secure like the Fit. Even the Yaris handles tighter/crisper/better.

Rope-a-dope shifter; tighter linkage, please.

Instrument panel isn't very bright - even at full brightness on dark country roads. Hate the orange illumination of the radio and HVAC controls, but this is a minor gripe. Would prefer red or the cool, calming, sea-foam green of some Hondas.

Still sounds like something is dying when I turn on the AC. Very unpleasant groaning/wailing noise. I've only used the AC thrice, so maybe it will improve with age.

All in all, I'm more happy with the V than I am disappointed. The fuel economy is great, the car is nice to look at, and it's roomy. The engine whine/whistle, rattles, poor build quality, floaty ride, and downright sloppy handling kills a lot of the enjoyment.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Good mpgs on your car.

I have not had any rattling issues that you are experiencing and no whining/whistling of the engine. Yes she sounds
a bit loud in the winter months and first thing in the morning but she is normally
pretty quiet.

You may want to get the fogs installed on your Versa. They are really bright and help out with visibility.

I just ordered a front strut bar for my baby. I'll let you know if i notice a difference.

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone PM'd me about the whining/whistling... he'd just bought a 2010 Versa!

Yeah, the mileage is great! Surpassed all of my expectations! The rattles suck ass... when you put the slightest bit of pressure on the air vent pieces, it creaks big time. Guy at dealership told me to give it 3-5 months for the plastics to "settle" as they are still "moving and expanding".

If by the end of the summer the air vent pieces don't stop creaking so loudly, I'll take it in. The intense summer heat will "bake the pieces" the guy said. Problem is, the guy said he'd have to gut the dash to do so... Dunno.

Which strut bar did you buy?

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I don't get it, my car has no creaking or rattling at all. The ONLY rattling I ever hear is when I'm not wearing my sunglasses and they are stored in the sunglass holder (near the map lights up top). I drove home today thinking about that, and our roads here are not pleasant. YET no ratting, I don't get it ...

I got the Ultra Racing one from stillhere.
Just waiting for it to arrive.

·
MPG King!
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Difficult, if not impossible to explain.

Too many variations in manufacturing, despite everything being robotics. The plastic used to make the batch of air vents might have been over-processed resulting in more brittle (as opposed to flexible) pieces that are susceptible to creaks. That's just a guess.

My car has loud creaky air vents. I pressed the air vents in the 2010 Versa that was in the showroom and that one didn't make any noise at all.

My steering wheel has plastic flashing where the pieces meet and it cuts into my hand when I'm driving. The other Versas I sat in had perfectly assembled steering wheels. The hood gap on the driver's side of my Versa is twice as wide as the one on the passenger side. I see this on other Versas on the lot, too. Sometimes, it's the passenger side that's wider.

Too many factors, really. We both drive Versas, but mine gets better fuel economy even without the supposedly fuel beneficial CVT. My friend in FL has a 2010 SL with the CVT and he gets 36-38.

* shrug *

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Yes some get better gas mileage. But I drive with the A/C on, take off fast from a stopped position, and just have fun. I drive her without thinking of the mileage I'm getting. Whatever I get, then that's what I get.

If your Versa has that many problems, then you should really take it in and get a new one. Seems like yours has too many problems that are bothering you.

Mine has no problems, so I'm a happy camper. Not one noise, creak, or rattle.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Throughly and detailed review...

Honestly, I find more negativity in your write up and bickering than anything else. The Versa is an entry level vehicle, it's expected to have a few rattles here and there, it's not a $30k luxury car. Yes, the car doesn't have a stiff chassis when turning in sharp corners but think of it this way, it's an economy car, not ment to be driven fast around corners.

If you have more complaints than compliments on the car, then the Versa isn't the car for you. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Im over 70k miles, and im around 33-34mpg. I spend most my time at 70, and I do accelerate pretty hard. I have the Auto(non CVT)

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've got slightly more than 2K on the odometer now, so I think it warrants a quick review. 2K is more than enough time/miles to offer a comprehensive update. Here goes:
:auto: 2K not bad still breaking the vehicle in a bit not everything has settled yet.

The fuel economy is simply awesome. Once the engine is fully broken in (perhaps around 10-15K), I don't anticipate anything less than 40 if I drive all highway or 33 if I drive all city. On my third tank of gas, I got 34.2 with mostly highway driving. The two tanks when I drove mostly city, I got 29.0 and 29.2 mpg. My last tank, which was about 40% highway and 60% city, I achieved 33 mpg. The increases are notable after every new tank.
:driving: Depending on your driving habits and what you carry in your V on a daily basis it will probably remain the same.

With the exception of the tail lights, I still love the looks of the V. I always take a few moments before getting in!
:20: Agreed very nice design lines on the hatches don't care to much for the sedans but they still have a decent line to them as well.

Rattles are getting worse and worse. Yeah, I know - it's an economy car. But my friend's Yaris, with 56K, has no rattles. And she mashes the pedal everywhere - even over broken roads. I crawl over bumpy roads. If I go over bump at higher speeds, it sounds like the entire dash shifts and rattles.
:burnout: Sounds like your friend has rattled all the panels into place but several days of hot weather and leaving the vehicle locked up in full sun without a sun-visor plus some thin foam tape should help alleviate a good number of the panel rattles. Make sure it is not loose items in the storage compartments.

Foam is starting to become visible from where the dash meets the windows on the driver's side. Will have to tuck them in with a credit card when I have time.
:26: I have the same issue need to pull some of my panels out and reposition the anti-rattle foam that i am using (the foam insulation tape).

My driver's side window is loose. I hear clicks whenever the V goes over bumps. Should be an easy fix at the dealership.
:cussing Hmmm loose hardware in door maybe can't be sure.

Engine still whines/whistles. This is becoming unbearable. Music at volume 20 doesn't drown it out. Without the whine/whistle, the V would be an awesome, quiet ride.
:neutral: Transmission wine wile coasting in-gear normal operation. whistle if coming from door area sounds like a warped panel there is a bulletin/recall on it. There is also one about the transmission whine.

Gas lid pops open when I'm hosing the car down with pressure washers at the car wash. Kinda disturbing.
:smash: The little tang on the outside edge of the fuel door needs to be bent out wards just a little bit and this problem will go away. The water pressure from the pressure washer is causing it to bend in and pop off of the locking clip that is connected to the fuel door cable. No biggie simple 2 second fix.

Weak ass headlights. Definitely need to upgrade them.
:smash: Beam pattern okay just need to adjust them up a touch for your style of driving factory adjusted them with a couple of hundred pounds in the back end. Little bit more involved but still simple to do. Which reminds me i still need to readjust the blasted fog lamps also.

The handling of the V sucks ass. I can't throw myself into any turns or bends with confidence. When I do, I'm like halfway off the seat. Considering a strut bar once the semester's over. The V has one of the floatiest rides I've ever encountered. Doesn't feel planted or secure like the Fit. Even the Yaris handles tighter/crisper/better.
:65: Uhhhhh yea full agreement there needs bracing and suspension tightening/lowering.

Rope-a-dope shifter; tighter linkage, please.
:skep: Think a couple of people are working on a shifter kit for the V haven't heard any news on this recently.

Instrument panel isn't very bright - even at full brightness on dark country roads. Hate the orange illumination of the radio and HVAC controls, but this is a minor gripe. Would prefer red or the cool, calming, sea-foam green of some Hondas.
:48: Agreed but i would personally like to see the same light set up as the cube has in our gauge clusters. Or you could change out the SMD LED's to you choice.

Still sounds like something is dying when I turn on the AC. Very unpleasant groaning/wailing noise. I've only used the AC thrice, so maybe it will improve with age.
:shrug: Still have the same noise at 15K. A/C clutch engageing haven't had any luck quiteing it down yet.

All in all, I'm more happy with the V than I am disappointed. The fuel economy is great, the car is nice to look at, and it's roomy. The engine whine/whistle, rattles, poor build quality, floaty ride, and downright sloppy handling kills a lot of the enjoyment.
All in all full agreement. Build Quality might suggest a Friday or Monday vehicle.
Now that i have :beatdeadhorse5: time for me to :sleep: for a bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.