Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback
Radio:p/N:28185 EM33A Model:2813L Multi cd changer

On Wednesday April 12th I came out of the store heading home, I noticed that my radio was off which I always leave on. I tried to turn it on but no luck. I figured I might have blown the fuse and figured I will check it later. I drove the car next 2 days without the radio. On Saturday morning the car will not start. The battery was completely dead. I had it jump started and drove it without any problem but without radio though. On Sunday morning same again. I decided to check the fuse for the radio, figured it might be draining my battery. The fuse checked out fine. The battery was almost 5 years old. So I bought a new one and replaced the battery. But my radio still would not power on until I was almost close to my house when I noticed the radio turned on by itself. I did not go any where once I was home.

On Monday morning though, you guessed it, my new battery was dead. After I jump started, the radio will not turn on. I drove the car to bring the voltage back up then I decided to check the cause of the drainage of the battery. With the volt meter in series and negative disconnected I found the drainage was close to an amp. I pulled the radio fuse and the amps went way down. Even though the fuse was fine I replaced it any way but no change. I went ahead and pulled the radio out. Now I do not have any problem with the battery dying.
I took the radio apart to see if there was a fuse inside, there is none that I could find.I am lost now. I need help. I do not know if the radio is bad or if there is a problem with the circuit. Is there a code that I have to put in to power-up the radio? or is there a security issue? Can anyone please point me to the right direction?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
My car: 2008 Nissan Versa
Radio:p/N:28185 EM33A Model:2813L

On Wednesday April 12th I came out of the store heading home, I noticed that my radio was off which I always leave on. I tried to turn it on but no luck. I figured I might have blown the fuse and figured I will check it later. I drove the car next 2 days without the radio. On Saturday morning the car will not start. The battery was completely dead. I had it jump started and drove it without any problem but without radio though. On Sunday morning same again. I decided to check the fuse for the radio, figured it might be draining my battery. The fuse checked out fine. The battery was almost 5 years old. So I bought a new one and replaced the battery. But my radio still would not power on until I was almost close to my house when I noticed the radio turned on by itself. I did not go any where once I was home.

On Monday morning though, you guessed it, my new battery was dead. After I jump started, the radio will not turn on. I drove the car to bring the voltage back up then I decided to check the cause of the drainage of the battery. With the volt meter in series and negative disconnected I found the drainage was close to an amp. I pulled the radio fuse and the amps went way down. Even though the fuse was fine I replaced it any way but no change. I went ahead and pulled the radio out. Now I do not have any problem with the battery dying.
I took the radio apart to see if there was a fuse inside, there is none that I could find.I am lost now. I need help. I do not know if the radio is bad or if there is a problem with the circuit. Is there a code that I have to put in to power-up the radio? or is there a security issue? Can anyone please point me to the right direction?
Just guessing on my part. If you pulled the radio out and that stopped the battery drain, I think you have found the culprit. If you had a short in the wiring leading up to the radio, you should still have the battery drain taking place. Good luck!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for the reply. So what you saying is if there was a short the connectors don't have to be connected in order for it to drain the battery. As is all the connections are hanging loose inside and not connected to anything. According to your guess my radio must be bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
Thank you for the reply. So what you saying is if there was a short the connectors don't have to be connected in order for it to drain the battery. As is all the connections are hanging loose inside and not connected to anything. According to your guess my radio must be bad.
Well, as pimperell stated, if your stock radio is out and the fuse for radio is in place, and you do not have extra drain on the battery, then there is a short in your radio unit after the connector. The wiring from the car power supply up and including the unplugged connector is good.

It is not necessary some wires inside your radio are shorted, could be some circuit components at fault. Use it as opportunity to install an after-market unit. You will need some harness to plug it into your car's connector. Most places sell it all together, radio unit and harness/adapter for your particular car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good News. I finally bought a used radio from eBay and after installation the only thing does not work is some of the cd changer slots. Atleast for now I know that it was the radio that was causing the problem. Only 2 of the slots out of 6 work which I can live with.

Thanks everyone for your input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
My car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback
Radio:p/N:28185 EM33A Model:2813L Multi cd changer

On Wednesday April 12th I came out of the store heading home, I noticed that my radio was off which I always leave on. I tried to turn it on but no luck. I figured I might have blown the fuse and figured I will check it later. I drove the car next 2 days without the radio. On Saturday morning the car will not start. The battery was completely dead. I had it jump started and drove it without any problem but without radio though. On Sunday morning same again. I decided to check the fuse for the radio, figured it might be draining my battery. The fuse checked out fine. The battery was almost 5 years old. So I bought a new one and replaced the battery. But my radio still would not power on until I was almost close to my house when I noticed the radio turned on by itself. I did not go any where once I was home.

On Monday morning though, you guessed it, my new battery was dead. After I jump started, the radio will not turn on. I drove the car to bring the voltage back up then I decided to check the cause of the drainage of the battery. With the volt meter in series and negative disconnected I found the drainage was close to an amp. I pulled the radio fuse and the amps went way down. Even though the fuse was fine I replaced it any way but no change. I went ahead and pulled the radio out. Now I do not have any problem with the battery dying.
I took the radio apart to see if there was a fuse inside, there is none that I could find.I am lost now. I need help. I do not know if the radio is bad or if there is a problem with the circuit. Is there a code that I have to put in to power-up the radio? or is there a security issue? Can anyone please point me to the right direction?
Here is BrianMobil1 demonstrating the replacement of the fuse link terminal.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top