Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a rattling noise that sounds like it's coming from the driver's side of the engine bay. It only happens when I am accelerating at certain RPMs. I see that the air intake is incredibly loose/wobbly and suspect the vibration to be coming from the plastic piping that connects to the inlet of the air filter box. I've attempted to use adjustable clamps to hold all the intake pipes together securely and even tried tie wrapping the pipe that connects to the inlet of the air filter box, but the rattle still exists.

My number one goal is to eliminate the vibration with the stock setup rather than installing an after market CAI.
Do you guys have any suggestions to firm up the piping that connects to the air filter box other than duct tape?

As a last resort, I may consider installing a CAI and replacing the stock intake, but I really want to keep it quiet when driving around town or on the highway. Any ideas on which CAI is the most quiet...as close to stock as possible. I've heard the Takeda and some of the short ram intakes and those are going to be too loud. I saw some of the YouTube videos w/ Versa's running CAIs and many of those are going to be too loud as well so I'm probably out of luck on going to an after market setup, but I'm willing to hear your guys thoughts.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've got a rattling noise that sounds like it's coming from the driver's side of the engine bay. It only happens when I am accelerating at certain RPMs. I see that the air intake is incredibly loose/wobbly and suspect the vibration to be coming from the plastic piping that connects to the inlet of the air filter box. I've attempted to use adjustable clamps to hold all the intake pipes together securely and even tried tie wrapping the pipe that connects to the inlet of the air filter box, but the rattle still exists.

My number one goal is to eliminate the vibration with the stock setup rather than installing an after market CAI.
Do you guys have any suggestions to firm up the piping that connects to the air filter box other than duct tape?

As a last resort, I may consider installing a CAI and replacing the stock intake, but I really want to keep it quiet when driving around town or on the highway. Any ideas on which CAI is the most quiet...as close to stock as possible. I've heard the Takeda and some of the short ram intakes and those are going to be too loud. I saw some of the YouTube videos w/ Versa's running CAIs and many of those are going to be too loud as well so I'm probably out of luck on going to an after market setup, but I'm willing to hear your guys thoughts.
Don't know what your driving, but another thing you might check is the heat shield over the muffler. On my 2012 sedan, it was held in place with bolts that were too small, and eventually the heat shield mounting points gave way causing it to rattle under load and at certain RPMs. Once I secured the heat shield, the rattle was history. Good luck!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. It's a 2010 versa hatch. The noise is definitely coming from the engine bay.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure enough, it turns out it was the intake causing the rattling. I went ahead and upgraded to an AEM CAI and couldn't be more pleased. The AEM noise level is barely noticeable and has a nice tone to it once you hit about 4k rpms. Hope this helps anyone else that encounters this problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
jasonkg
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing