Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
for the past four weeks, if its not the dash, then under the brake pedal area. I would hear this metal rattling, like two washer hitting against each other. Ive crawl under the brake pedal and move them sideways, lateral motions. It seems like there is a noise, but I can not replicate it. This happens while driving, but one you step on it, no sound produced at all.
I have not crawl under the car around the exhaust area yet. I do not believe it is under the car, but rather around the brake pedal area.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I would suggest that you get the car up on a lift and check out the exhaust components. The heat shields would be an excellent area to start with. They are flimsy, poorly attached, and have a tendency to break loose from the bolts that hold them in place. Next are the exhaust system hangers that hold the muffler system in place. If everything is ok, you may have an interior baffel in the muffler or catalytic converter that has come loose, which will require that either one may have to be replaced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nothing under the car, all seems snug, that damn rattle seems more under the glove box. I took the box off and just cant find this metallic sound coming from.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jack up the car, the heat shield all in perfect condition. Just cant find the damn noise under both the foot wells now on both the driver(brake pedal) and under the glove box area.
Took the glove box off, lube, install tape, not coming from the glove box.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Exhaust heat shields are easily found by just pounding on the exhaust, or hitting it in various places with a mallet. There are also metal rings on the front and back of the flex pipe that come off all the time. Body heat shields also common.

If it's not the exhaust, then you'll have to create the sound and feel/move around to try to find it. Have someone else drive if needed.

Welcome to squeaks and rattles diagnosis. The worst. Customer complaint - there is a squeak coming from the dashboard when I get more than 2' of air off of jumps, under 4* outside, but over 85mph in reverse. Cause - Found empty beer bottles under driver seat.

Actual one I had about a year ago. Complaint - customer hears chirping sound about every minute coming from vehicle that sounds like a smoke detector low on batteries. Cause - Found smoke detector in trunk of vehicle.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
Actual one I had about a year ago. Complaint - customer hears chirping sound about every minute coming from vehicle that sounds like a smoke detector low on batteries. Cause - Found smoke detector in trunk of vehicle.

That is awesome! LOL!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let me crawl back down and check those flex pipe. I swear it is coming from the brake pedal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are welds that crack at some of the shields on the pipe that you can't see and only make noise at certain frequencies. To find these you have to hit the pipe with a closed fist or rubber mallet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me wait till this Bliz cover Texas. I will crawl under it this weekend. You guys are bad asses with suggestions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
By any chance are you wearing boots? I am also in Texas and heard that sound today. First time driving since we got snow and the first time I wore boots since I bought the car in 2016. I think my foot hit something up under the dash as I was stepping on the brake pedal. I only heard it once. Figures since I was wanting it to happen again. But it sounded just as the OP describes it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By any chance are you wearing boots? I am also in Texas and heard that sound today. First time driving since we got snow and the first time I wore boots since I bought the car in 2016. I think my foot hit something up under the dash as I was stepping on the brake pedal. I only heard it once. Figures since I was wanting it to happen again. But it sounded just as the OP describes it.
No. You notice more pronounce on the highway, even not touching the brake pedal. Low speed, you still hearing it. But lately of the wind pick up, it was very apparent on the brake pedal side. Now I heard under the passenger side also.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think you've gotta get under the car after the blizzard and check the body shield. It's a sheet of thin metal above the exhaust mounted to the body. Just touch it and see if it's loose. Super common. I'm still getting with one of those shields or rings being loose. Who knows though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts