Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a Nissan Versa bare bones no frills. Its a 2012. Anyway, it has about 42,500 miles on it. Is it normally for the car to start rattling at these number of miles? I'm hearing a constant rattle especially at idle and I believe its the muffler.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
more than likely it's just a heat shield around the exhaust. Seems a little premature to be happening with such low miles in California. But I did notice especially on the exhaust manifold heat shield a couple of spot welds gave away causing some rattling. Usually rusty state cars have this issue at your mileage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Heat shield...

It's a poor design. Mine had a problem at like 12K, was replaced. Then again just over a year ago. And then just had them jerry-rig it today to quiet it after it broke loose again.

·
Registered
226 Posts
threw mine out. rusted through at about 50k. Later, all the exhaust flanges rusted to oblivion.

many of the bolts are rusted worse than on my '84 VW (the few original ones left). They really used some low quality bits when assembling these.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I hit a big puddle and had rattles afterwards. The dealer said it was some sort of non-integral shield under the car (maybe it was the heat shield) and removed it. No rattles since. I've been really pleased at how rattle free this car is after almost 40000 miles. I've owned lots of cars that have had issues with rattles developing as they age.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.