Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hard to see it here as the car is facing down hill but the rear wheel well looks like its covering part of the tire where as the front has a 2 inch gap all around. The ride is not as soft as before too. I checked and no broken springs or coils. Considering a 2 inch coil spacer from my suzuki sidekick for a "lift kit" I havent installed. The V already has a 1 inch black rubber spacer at the top of the coil spring.

Measured from top of wheel well to ground and rear is 1.5 inches lower than the front. :|

Yeah, those are solar panels in the foreground. They sit and make electricity.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hard to see it here as the car is facing down hill but the rear wheel well looks like its covering part of the tire where as the front has a 2 inch gap all around. The ride is not as soft as before too. I checked and no broken springs or coils. Considering a 2 inch coil spacer from my suzuki sidekick for a "lift kit" I havent installed. The V already has a 1 inch black rubber spacer at the top of the coil spring.

Measured from top of wheel well to ground and rear is 1.5 inches lower than the front. :|

Yeah, those are solar panels in the foreground. They sit and make electricity.
Did you look at the rear shock absorbers? I mentioned elsewhere on this forum that the stock rear shocks on my Versa Note were...not good so I replaced them. I noticed that one of the stock rear shocks leaked oil at ~37,000 miles; replaced both rear shocks at 40,000 miles.

http://www.nissanversaforums.com/brakes-suspension/33690-left-rear-shock-leaking-oil-after-37-120-miles-2014-versa-note.html

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I saw that. Shocks control bounce, they do not support the weight of the vehicle. True gas charged and air assisted will help, but they are designed to regular and control bounce where springs hold the weight.

I put 1 inch coil spring spacers and its sitting level again. Thought I had to space the shocks, but so far so good. The springs has a half inch spacer, but it was made out of real spongy rubber vs the hard rubber my spacer was made of.

Got done at sun down, so no photos today. Will get some tomorrow.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah, I saw that. Shocks control bounce, they do not support the weight of the vehicle. True gas charged and air assisted will help, but they are designed to regular and control bounce where springs hold the weight.
Understood. I thought bad shocks may cause the car to sag. I was thinking that shocks would help hold the weight of the car since they connect the car body/frame to the torsion beam, just like the springs do.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, most shocks contain nitrogen gas and oil, some are gas charged and provide a little lift then you got the air assisted ones you can pump up to help with sagging.

I got a set of 1 inch coil spring spacers for my suzuki sidekick and then got a real lift kit from low range off road. So used 2 of the 4 for the V.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-and-Rear-1-Spacer-Lift-Kit-4-Sidekick-Tracker-Vitara-Grand-Vitara-XL7/192151309151?fits=Make:Suzuki|Model:Sidekick&hash=item2cbd1c4b5f:g:xWcAAOSwgQ9VhHYq&vxp=mtr

Got too dark too fast today to get photos, but man its a much nicer cloud like ride. Mpg was 42 vs 41 and took just a tap of the throttle to maintain speed.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the 3 spacers, The one on the spring is the oem one. It is spongy and 1/2 inch thick. The black one is a hard urthene and an inch thick I got from ebay for my sidekick and ended up using. The orange one is 2 inches and i got from low range off road.

Here is the car after. It feels like a big difference even if it doesnt look like much. The trunk is empty inside on top of the mat. Under the mat I still got the spare tire and junk the car came with and I added a jump starter, some cargo straps, bungie cords, jump starter cables, folding shovel, first aid kit in its own box, a Nissan Cargo liner carpet and a weather tech liner.

·
Registered
144 Posts

I put 1 inch coil spring spacers and its sitting level again. Thought I had to space the shocks, but so far so good. The springs has a half inch spacer, but it was made out of real spongy rubber vs the hard rubber my spacer was made of.

Got done at sun down, so no photos today. Will get some tomorrow.
I figured how to better phrase my thoughts which is why I'm posting this. Shocks' main purpose is to control bounce and not to support the weight of the vehicle but they still help the springs support the weight of the vehicle. With bad shocks or no shocks, more/all the car's weight would fall onto the springs, compressing the springs more than they would with good shocks and, thus, lowering the ride height.

Anyways, looks like you found a solution as the spacers seem to have worked out.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Much nicer ride with passengers and junk in the trunk. Speed bumps dont give you whiplash either. :grin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
2 Participants
Cobb
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing