Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I will try to make this short and sweet but yet to the point. I have a 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback 48,567 (not to bad) I went to the dealership to get m oil change. I am very picky as to who changes my oil So I get the report everything comes back perfect and everything is good to go. Now I'm paranoid because I checked my oil and my dip stick has a L and a H on it. Per my owner's manual I read that a Normal oil reading would be in the middle of the L and H. Then there is part two of the question do I check the oil when its cold or hot? When should I check my Oil? So I check my oil and the dipstick sates my oil is right over the L NOT in the middle not near the H. HMMMM? So I drove it on a small road trip on Sunday...Car is running fine. HOWEVER I am concerned about where the level of oil is? when do I check the Oil hot or cold? Does my car have enough oil in the engine now? ughhhh SO I'm calling the dealership back tomorrow and like listen what's up? did you not put enough oil in my car????? I don't want to start having problems if someone made a mistake???? Thanks in advanced for you answers!!! GO!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hey everyone!
I will try to make this short and sweet but yet to the point. I have a 2012 Nissan Versa Hatchback 48,567 (not to bad) I went to the dealership to get m oil change. I am very picky as to who changes my oil So I get the report everything comes back perfect and everything is good to go. Now I'm paranoid because I checked my oil and my dip stick has a L and a H on it. Per my owner's manual I read that a Normal oil reading would be in the middle of the L and H. Then there is part two of the question do I check the oil when its cold or hot? When should I check my Oil? So I check my oil and the dipstick sates my oil is right over the L NOT in the middle not near the H. HMMMM? So I drove it on a small road trip on Sunday...Car is running fine. HOWEVER I am concerned about where the level of oil is? when do I check the Oil hot or cold? Does my car have enough oil in the engine now? ughhhh SO I'm calling the dealership back tomorrow and like listen what's up? did you not put enough oil in my car????? I don't want to start having problems if someone made a mistake???? Thanks in advanced for you answers!!! GO!
I would normally check the oil level when it is cold before starting the engine. Most of the oil in the upper part of the engine has had time to drip down into the pan. As long as your oil is showing above the low indicator you should be o.k.. If, when checking the oil with the engine cold you get the same reading, you can always add a little oil to bring it up a little. You do not want to have TOO MUCH oil in the sump as it will tend to foam up and really cause problems with proper lubrication.

https://www.cartalk.com/content/when-are-you-supposed-check-your-oil-when

·
Registered
263 Posts
Check oil on a cold engine (at least wait 0.5 hours after turning off engine).

Even though theoretically oil level just above L is OK, it is not so good as your oil level may come down between oil change and get below L. You do not want it. Normally it should be somewhere between middle and H after oil change. Above H is also not good, as stated in the above post. Also it may accelerate oil leaks through seals.

There is one sure way to have it done right: do it yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I took it back to the dealership today and GOT A NEW OIL CHANGE AGAIN SOOO WHEN I CHECKED IT WAS between the L and the H..... I am hoping they just didn't add enough oil....car is at the dealership getting some recall work done with my airbag influator

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
L and H?!?!?!? Is this the thing on the left under the hood or right where the driver sits? Almost sounds like the automatic tranny fluid vs engine. Usually trannys have a low and high warm and hot, etc.

Do what ever the manual for your car says.

"CHECKING ENGINE OIL LEVEL
1. Park the vehicle on a level surface and apply
the parking brake.
2. Start the engine and let it idle until it reaches
operating temperature.
3. Turn off the engine. Wait more than 10
minutes for the oil to drain back into
the oil pan.
4. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean. Reinsert
it all the way.
5. Remove the dipstick again and check the oil
level. It should be between the H (High) and
L (Low) marks 1 . This is the normal operating
oil level range. If the oil level is below
the L (Low) mark 2 , remove the oil filler cap
and pour recommended oil through the
opening. Do not overfill 3 .
6. Recheck oil level with the dipstick."

https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/ManualsAndGuides/VersaHatchback/2012/2012-VersaHatchback-owner-manual.pdf

Page 258

1 - 5 of 5 Posts