Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there is a nut holding the rear drums on. I just want to inspect the brakes as iam at 30k miles.
Anyone know if this is a ONE TIME type nut were you need to get a new nut after removing old one? Any idea on torque rating when tightening nut back down?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but
Looking through a plug is NOT what I want. Besides I want to CLEAN the brakes. Drums get dirty after a while.

·
Registered
519 Posts
According to the service manual: Do not reuse the wheel hub lock nut. Do not reuse the hub cap (cap that covers the lock nut).

It says, " check that the wheel hub lock nut is tightened to the specified torque" but no torque spec is shown on the manual....duhh!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the service manual: Do not reuse the wheel hub lock nut. Do not reuse the hub cap (cap that covers the lock nut).

It says, " check that the wheel hub lock nut is tightened to the specified torque" but no torque spec is shown on the manual....duhh!
Thanks Now I know I need to get two new nuts before I remove them. I hope the parts guy at dealer can tell me the torque rating.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
If I had to go through all that Id get new bearings, hardware and upgrade the shoes. Depending on the shape of the drums Id likely replace those as well and paint them black.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Looking at drum brakes at only 30K is severely misplaced maintenance if they are working correctly. And if the type with a cartridge bearing you are risking the bearing going bad with every retorque of it. They realign at every reinstall and doing it unnecessarily will kill them early.

I am a maintenance maniac and I don't even think about rear drums until at least 100K..........

Save the effort for things nobody ever does like changing trans fluid and power steering fluid.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I reused the nuts up to 3-4 times on Fords and they said to change them every time too. Silly, if the nut holds torque on the way up you use it, if it begins to give you will know it and replace it then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
amc49
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing