Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
removing/installing brake dust shields without pulling the hub?

does anyone have any clever tips on how to do this? it looks like there are no screw holes on these so the only thing holding them on is the center ring where it fits over the spindle hub.....if you were to cut one off the old spindle is there any solid way of reattaching to a new one?

don't really want to pull 2 hubs just over a shield

Automotive tire Automotive design Rim Automotive wheel system Font

· Registered
338 Posts
Sorry to say, there's no easy way to do this. The dust shields use the hubs and are precisely machined to need that 1-2 mm of material to properly space the ABS sensors, so don't leave them out. You can cut them out, but that's allows grit and contamination into the brake assembly.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
so am i supposed to punch the hub out of the new unit on blocks then freeze it to get it back into the bearing after putting the shield on?

i'd be afraid of damaging the new bearing on the new knuckle doing it this way

· Registered
338 Posts
so am i supposed to punch the hub out of the new unit on blocks then freeze it to get it back into the bearing after putting the shield on?

i'd be afraid of damaging the new bearing on the new knuckle doing it this way
Now you're asking a different question- do you need to replace the bearings, or just pull the hubs to change the brake shields? Check the FSM, but the brake shields are usually held into place on the spindle by the hub/bearing.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the replacement knuckle comes with the bearing and hub as one unit - which means ill need to order brake shield and take the hub off and put it back on to install the shield on it first

what they SHOULD do is sell it with the shield already on there so you don't have to do any of that just bolt it on but they don't do that to save money

i suppose ill just use a socket to pound the hub out then freeze it and try to get it back in...i was just worried about the bearing race separating when i do that

Auto part Machine Nickel Rim Metal

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there's nothing wrong with the brake shield - but in order to reuse it i would have to press out the old hub and take it off the old knuckle - it's easier to just buy a new one its a $15 part

· Super Moderator
439 Posts
The front dust shields are almost rotted to dust on our 2015 Nissan Versa S. This is not uncommon in the rust belt. You can live without them. You'll just have shorter brake life. I wouldn't touch them unless I was replacing bearings or had to break the knuckle down for something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts