Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting a P0421 error code and the CEL comes on and off intermittently on my Versa. The shop that regularly cares for Baby says that they're not exactly sure what that could be - the rear O2 sensor may be bad or I may need a new catalytic converter. I've been in a "watch and see" mode for a few months now.

Yesterday, after doing the "Nissan Pedal Dance" to read the OBDII codes, the SES light is now on. I looked at some prices for an O2 sensor and catalytic converter parts. Huh? Wait. The cost to do the work and parts from the shop were quoted at a rate of nearly $800-1200. I can do this myself for about $300.

I grew up in the automotive industry, was a District Sales Manager and District Service and Parts Manager for three of the Japanese auto manufacturers years ago, so I'm not shy when it comes to working on cars. However, I do not consider myself a true hobbyist or shadetree mechanic. That being said, I am giving serious consideration to changing out the cat and O2 sensor myself, given the cost.

For those of you who have done so, what kind of issues did you run into unexpectedly? Would you recommend others do the work themselves? Mine is an 09 HB SL 1.8L. Thanks for your input in advance!

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm getting a P0421 error code and the CEL comes on and off intermittently on my Versa. The shop that regularly cares for Baby says that they're not exactly sure what that could be - the rear O2 sensor may be bad or I may need a new catalytic converter. I've been in a "watch and see" mode for a few months now.

Yesterday, after doing the "Nissan Pedal Dance" to read the OBDII codes, the SES light is now on. I looked at some prices for an O2 sensor and catalytic converter parts. Huh? Wait. The cost to do the work and parts from the shop were quoted at a rate of nearly $800-1200. I can do this myself for about $300.

I grew up in the automotive industry, was a District Sales Manager and District Service and Parts Manager for three of the Japanese auto manufacturers years ago, so I'm not shy when it comes to working on cars. However, I do not consider myself a true hobbyist or shadetree mechanic. That being said, I am giving serious consideration to changing out the cat and O2 sensor myself, given the cost.

For those of you who have done so, what kind of issues did you run into unexpectedly? Would you recommend others do the work themselves? Mine is an 09 HB SL 1.8L. Thanks for your input in advance!
Main issue when dealing with the exhaust system components is the usual corrosion you find on the bolts and pipes when trying to disconnect the various items. If you are working on your back in the driveway or garage, it can be a real challenge. When my muffler went bad, I took a look under the car, and found a lot of rust and corrosion in the flange area, and decided not do it myself. Took it in to be repaired, and sure enough, the flange bolts would not loosen up, and the flange was in such bad shape that both the muffler and connector pipe had to be replaced. It is not technically a difficult job to do, but in is one BIG PAIN when parts are frozen together. Sometimes you can go to a specialty muffler shop, and they will usually cut a weld new pieces in place and not deal with the aggravation of trying to loosen frozen components. Good luck!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
You may want to check with the dealer to see if your issue is under warranty. Emissions related components typically have a longer than normal 3/36 warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts