Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I have a 2009 Nissan Versa S Hatchback with 116000 miles on the odometer. I read on my manual that the spark plugs for the Versa are supposed to be replace at 105,000 miles. I am noticing power loss on the freeway and im having to step on the accelerator farther in to make power.

How difficult is it to replace the spark plugs on the MR18 engine? what type of spark plugs should I buy? Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its pretty straight forward, but very tedious. I would set aside 2-3,hours your first time through. After that you could probably do in an hour.

Do not buy the sparkplugs from Autozone or a car parts store like that, they have the wrong plugs in the system and they all seem to share from a common "database". We bought our set off Amazon, they were cheaper then the dealer but still came in at ~$70 for the set.

You'll need a deep 14mm socket to get the plugs out. They are extremely skinny and traditional spark plug sockets will not fit. Ive got some pictures at home with the measurements. I ended up going to Northern Tool and buying a single socket

I also got pics of the right and wrong plugs side by side.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I can replace the plugs in 30 minutes, and westrock ur dealer was ripping you off. I got mine from the dealer for 69 dollars lol. And if you want to make the investment Snap on does make a 14mm spark plug socket that in their catalog says fits 18 versa 2.0 sentra and all bmw's lol. Problem is its 35 bucks for the one socket

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
lets say you have lots of money and want to pull the trigger and take it to the dealer and let them replace the spark plugs...

how much would they charge at the dealer?
[ Just wondering ]

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
lets say you have lots of money and want to pull the trigger and take it to the dealer and let them replace the spark plugs...

how much would they charge at the dealer?
[ Just wondering ]
$80-plug x 4
$125-1 hour of labor
$5-coolant (they will top it off)

+ tax so your looking $223.33 for changing spark plugs at the dealer.

pure speculation but I think I'm pretty close.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey there. First off, I want to thank all of you who posted and replied on this thread helping me out on changing my spark plugs on my Versa. I finally had the chance to replace the spark plugs on my Versa! With the help of my car geek brother, we knocked this out in an hour and I was able to take pictures of this cool job but i will post them very soon. Unfortunately i thought about the camera in the middle of the process.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hey there. First off, I want to thank all of you who posted and replied on this thread helping me out on changing my spark plugs on my Versa. I finally had the chance to replace the spark plugs on my Versa! With the help of my car geek brother, we knocked this out in an hour and I was able to take pictures of this cool job but i will post them very soon. Unfortunately i thought about the camera in the middle of the process.
that's awesome! let us know how much were the plugs too and post some pictures. I'm at 98K miles so they will need to be replaced soon.

did you notice a change in performance and MPG?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Greetings. I have a 2009 Nissan Versa S Hatchback with 116000 miles on the odometer. I read on my manual that the sparkplugs for the Versa are supposed to be replace at 105,000 miles. I am noticing power loss on the freeway and im having to step on the accelerator farther in to make power.

How difficult is it to replace the spark plugs on the MR18 engine? what type of spark plugs should I buy? Thanks in advance for any input.
I hate reviving out old threads but just wondering why other manufacturers have managed to put the plugs and coils in locations that don't require removing the intake manifold to change. And they make plenty of power and are very efficient.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello - Thanks for the great info. I just replaced the plugs in my 2010 Nissan Versa S. I ended up getting this plug wrench. Was kind of expensive but worked great, and had many good reviews for Versa owners on amazon.
Great post thanks again, you guys are always helpful.
:goodpost:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.