Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here got a manual or the goods to know how to reset the malfunction light?

Mine came on when she started 'missing' from one of my plugs breaking down to nothing, so now I've replaced the plugs and she's running like a dream again I need to reset the light.

Anyone with the know-how?

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Old trick that doesn't seem to work with newer cars but may with ours is disconnecting the battery overnight.

You can always buy an obdii scanner too.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
a scangauge will also do this if you were possibly looking into getting one. They are much more useful then a regular cheap scanner.

BTW your light should shut itself off after several drive cycles with no problem detected.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
anyone think of incorporating it into the the pocket door instead of behind it. That way you can always see it and then when you open it you still have storage space?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know anyone that owns a Scanguage no, so I might have to drop it past the dealers, drop my pants, bend over and ask them how much to look at. I don't know about you guys over there, but here they want half a mortgage just to drive it into their friggen garage.

The car is running fine now, so if you're correct about it turning off automatically Rob I hope it does it soon. The light only came on when it stumbed when I tried to pull quickly into traffic and the plugs finally crapped out.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
didn't think it would. By the way what code is it showing? You may have another issue.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
there is a code. you can extract it without a scanner. The instructions are on nico and prob im fsm. I would link but on mobile.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
This was takin from b15sentra.net. I was trying to find one in the FSM so i could copy and paste it up here and not have to borrow from another site but I can't find it and the FSM keeps crashing my comp.

This is how you reset the check engine light. No tools required!

In car ECM Diagnostics/ECM Reset procedure:

1) Sit in the driver's seat.
2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)
3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.
4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the MIL light flashes.
5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)
The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.
You can look up the trouble codes in the ESM/FSM; there's a bunch of them. In the ESM, refer to page EC-639.
Additionally, if you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.

You can clear the code (and the annoying MIL) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while in Diagnostic Test Mode II. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.