Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys.

I'm experiencing a loud thudding sound every time I go over uneven road surfaces. My transmission mount was shot and I thought it was because of that - replaced it and it hasn't changed anything. I've also proceeded to replace the subframe d bushes thinking it was those but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

btw - the sound comes from the left side - ) passenger side and it sounds like the strut or strut mount - but i replaced with a complete known functioning unit from another Tiida and the sound persisted. I'm at a loss as to what it could be

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi guys.

I'm experiencing a loud thudding sound every time I go over uneven road surfaces. My transmission mount was shot and I thought it was because of that - replaced it and it hasn't changed anything. I've also proceeded to replace the subframe d bushes thinking it was those but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

btw - the sound comes from the left side - ) passenger side and it sounds like the strut or strut mount - but i replaced with a complete known functioning unit from another Tiida and the sound persisted. I'm at a loss as to what it could be
Just a stab in the dark, but you might take a look at the exhaust system hangers and components. Sometimes the internal baffles in the muffler or catalytic converter can dislodge and start making noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you check the subframe front upper links to make sure rubber is not worn. Also, sway bar links and bushings on the side noise is coming from. Lastly, strut bearing although you say it's a known-good one...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a stab in the dark, but you might take a look at the exhaust system hangers and components. Sometimes the internal baffles in the muffler or catalytic converter can dislodge and start making noise.
Hi pimperell,

Thanks for replying. I've checked the exhaust system - seems quite solid so I'm positive it's not related to that system

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did you check the subframe front upper links to make sure rubber is not worn. Also, sway bar links and bushings on the side noise is coming from. Lastly, strut bearing although you say it's a known-good one...
Hi dasan,

Thank you for replying. I checked the subframe upper links when i replaced the stabilizer bar D-bushes (involves subframe removal) - no issues with the rubber there. I've also replaced sway bar links on both sides so now I'm leaning towards the control arm, though visual inspection shows the ball joint and the bushes in great condition. I'll remove the control arm this weekend and see how far along i get with that.

Thanks for insightful reply though

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the culprit!

Good news everyone!

It was the shock absorber support (strut mount). I had initially overlooked it as i had installed a complete assembly from a working car which did not exhibit the same kind of symptoms. Now the ride feels planted and no more suspension thuds when going over uneven surfaces.

Thanks to all who contributed ideas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad you figured it out. It probably was on the brink of failure and showed symptoms once on your car..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
dasan
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing