Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I changed the upper plastic tank of the radiator because it has cracked probably due to high pressure. After that i filled the radiator with coolant and burping it but i noticed the fluid level rising and falling contoniously when the radiator cap is off! I guess this what have caused the surge in the radiator. What is the cause of this rising and falling?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
It could be an indicator of more air trapped in. The pump could be squeezing that air pocket then it pushes back.

Now if you have the cap off long enough and at hot to let it boil it may be boiling in surges to do the same.

The first is just an idea, I've seen the second.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
My suzuki sidekick does that. I ended up getting a fill kit from harbor freight that has a big funnel that attaches to your filler. You fill this up and it gets the fluid above any high spots so you can burp your car naturally.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
That makes no sense, the fill point on any plastic reservoir is already the highest point in any system or it is designed wrong. Any air pocket I'm taking about is inside the engine and it will have zero effect on that too.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
For me I was filling up the kick and thinking I was done. I had turned the engine off and walked away with lid off radiator. I came back with fluid on the ground and it needed more water. Fill it up, but still short of its capacity yet its full. Turned engine off, walked away and another puddle developed and it was low on water. This time I watched when I turned the engine off and it burped up a bunch of water no sooner I turned the engine off. So, got the funnel and put it around the radiator fill cap and filled it up half way. Turned the engine off and it burped without loosing any fluid and was finally full.

Back in the day we use to drill a tiny hole in the tstat for it to bleed. Others say use a drop of dishwashing soap to reduce surface tension so the fluid wont keep air in the system.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Antifreeze greatly changes the water viscosity, why leaks show up with antifreeze in but won't with straight water.

You will ALWAYS get 'burping' with a cap off as the system if at temperature is boiling the water out in bursts, put cap on and that stops. It gets even worse at cutting motor off and normal. Most stats now come with those bleed holes in them if the stat disc places vertical in the motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts