Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my eyes set on a 2020 Nissan Versa SR.
so far all the reviews seem like it’s a nice and good car. But, my question is will I have issues driving across the US from NY to California road trip? Will it give me engine problems or overheat?
the car will have 30k miles when I buy it from a dealer used.
Sorry this is my first car and don’t know much about car other than driving haha.
thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
The '20 Sentra SR should have no problems making a cross-country trip. But we have no idea what kind of care and maintenance its received for the past 30K miles. Take a close look at the service records, and consider getting an independent mechanical assessment of this car before purchase.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yes, no contemporary vehicle with 30k miles and a year old should give you any engine troubles. But the previous history, as mentioned above, is important. If you are buying from a dealer, you can request a free Carfax report. Plus you should have a remaining of the bumper-to-bumper and powertrain warranty.

You biggest concern, on the long run, would be a CVT transmission.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Previous care/maintenance is the key here. In 2010 I drove a car that I'd owned since '93 on a 500+ mile road trip from NC to KY when we moved. At the time it had over 500K miles on it and didn't give a minutes trouble. I've got a car now with over 200K miles that I've owned since 2008. If it was the only transportation I had and I had to take it on a longer trip I'd feel comfortable driving it. I never did like buying a used car then taking it on a highway trip prior to driving it a few thousand miles first to see if any problems were going to arise. Maybe not so much on a car as new as 2020 with 30K miles but, lots of people will trade off a car if they know it's in need of an expensive repair/maintenance. Knowing lots of people do this is one reason I seldom buy a high mileage car.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Why do you hate yourself?
LOL!

As much as I like our 2015 Versa 1.6 S w/ the 4AT, I could not imagine driving it coast to coast. It's a great 2nd vehicle and a great kids car for their first car.

I'm old enough to have owned and driven econo cars from the early 1980s and my Versa takes me back to that time period. It's loud, crude and small. The back seat in the sedan version is huge though and probably the most comfortable spot to be for a long trip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have my eyes set on a 2020 Nissan Versa SR.
so far all the reviews seem like it’s a nice and good car. But, my question is will I have issues driving across the US from NY to California road trip? Will it give me engine problems or overheat?
the car will have 30k miles when I buy it from a dealer used.
Sorry this is my first car and don’t know much about car other than driving haha.
thanks
Drive it! my 2015 has 159,000 and runs like a top.

·
Registered
08 versa hb
4 Posts
Drive it! my 2015 has 159,000 and runs like a top.
That car is just a baby yet! Just nicely broken in. Take it on that cross country trip and enjoy it. Make sure the coolant level is correct and maybe give it an oil change if you don't know when the last one was done. If you can't or don't want to do it yourself any garage or quicky oil change place could make sure these things are good to go.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My 2012 Versa HB has 115000 miles and I didn't have any issues so far. Maintenance has been well kept since I've got it in 2016 with 65.000

This summer I'm planning to go to FL from OH because a two weeks rental would cost me more than 1k plus plane tickets. I'm planning a three days commute.

Before the trip I'll be replacing the transmission fluid (S matic, drain and fill), oil change and multipoint inspection, the radiator cap and I'll check tires, brakes and fluids (also I'll get an alignment). Engine belt was replaced at 90.000 miles.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
08 versa hb
4 Posts
My 2012 Versa HB has 115000 miles and I didn't have any issues so far. Maintenance has been well kept since I've got it in 2016 with 65.000

This summer I'm planning to go to FL from OH because a two weeks rental would cost me more than 1k plus plane tickets. I'm planning a three days commute.

Before the trip I'll be replacing the transmission fluid (S matic, drain and fill), oil change and multipoint inspection, the radiator cap and I'll check tires, brakes and fluids (also I'll get an alignment). Engine belt was replaced at 90.000 miles.

Any suggestions?
It sounds like you have it covered quite well. I replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses on my 08 Versa a couple of years ago just to be safe. It's pretty easy to do your self and not very expensive. You might want to think about doing that.

·
Registered
290 Posts
So a round trip will take almost a week being on the road?
Yes, but there is a reason. Right now the car is not cruised so after a while I get tired, and I'll be making stops at beach locations along the route.
I could make it in two days from Ohio, but I'll take it slow to convert those stops in a holiday-in-holiday experience.
Also I have like a gazillion hilton points so I won't pay for lodging :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts