Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2009 1.6L 4spd Sedan and 2013 1.6L 5MT Sedan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I am hoping you can help me with a few questions? I have reached out to Rostra as well, but they will only be able to help me during working hours. I will need to show up to work with a multimeter Friday and do this in the parking lot in order to diagnose why it is not working.

The car is a 2013 Versa S with manual transmission. The only change to the car is a new double din head unit for Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

I installed the Rostra kit per the instructions (AFAIK...). The car still operates normally after the install without any codes or check lights. Brake lights still work, no faults whatsoever.

The LED in the upper corner of the module glows amber when I turn the cruise control ON, but the cruise control does not function.

My Questions:
  1. The 4 cruise control settings buttons are lighted green all the time even when the key is out of the ignition. The instructions were clear about wiring to the 1st pin in 6 pin ignition harness that is for the always on power. This is despite the text also mentioning using a switched power lead. The instructions then also mention that the cruise being on all the time will not drain the battery...Like I said, very ambiguous...
  2. I installed the white clutch wire to the lead on the switch that goes to ground per the instructions. Reading around the web it would appear that the yellow lead needs to be attached to the hot side of the clutch switch. What is not clear to me is if the white AND the yellow need to be connected, or just the yellow. It would make sense to me that both would be connected as the 12v at the ground side would indicate that the pedal has been pressed. Just connecting the yellow on the hot side would not indicate anything except maybe a slight current or voltage drop?
  3. There is a LONG purple wire that would make sense to me to go to the emergency brake. The instructions make no mention of the purple wire. I did not connect it to anything and taped the end and tucked into the wire loom.
  4. There was a salmon colored wire that was not mentioned in the instructions. I taped the end and tucked it in the wire loom.
  5. There were two red wires. One was tapped into the ignition per the instructions, the other was part of another harness in the kit that was not mentioned. I taped the end of this red wire and tucked it in the wire loom.
Was there something else that I might have missed that would keep this from working? Any help would be appreciated by me, and anyone else who tries to install on of these in the future.

Thanks,

Rob

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Q Myers:

Thanks for the response. Your thread was one of the ones I was looking at for guidance.

The purple wire was just long enough to reach the E-brake, so I assumed that maybe was missing in the instructions. Other Rostra kits mentioned that going to the VSS, so your recollection is probably correct. Glad I did not hook it to the E-brake.

I am then also guessing from your comments that the power lead should have gone to the switched 12V instead of the always on 12v. I will switch that ASAP. But that alone should not prevent the CC from working.

If the clutch doesn't need to be wired, I could simply remove the white wire pin from the CC connector and see if the cruise suddenly works, that will give me the answer on the clutch.

The other possibility I am pondering is if I have the + and - sides of the brake switch correct. I followed the instructions based on wire color and did not check which was the hot side with the multimeter.

Rob

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update to my post;

I was able to work with Rostra Tech support on Friday. We tested the grounds and power supply. After testing the resistance on the brake switch, he suggested I ground out the brake switch. The module still didn't work. Waiting to hear back from Rostra if there is more testing or if they think the module is bad. At the very least I might need to add a relay to the brake switch due to the high resistance in the circuit.

I accidentally forgot to connect the traction control button before taking a test drive with the grounded brake switch. The traction control light is on in the dash. Any idea how long this will take to turn off on its own? The car has gon through 5 restarts and 70 mi and the light is still on.

Thanks,

Rob

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The traction control light was on because the fuse for the brake lights had blown. I assume when I had grounded the wrong side of the switch.

Rostra CC still does not work...

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Final update.

The instructions are incorrect. The instructions state that the white wire gets connected to the negative leg of the brake switch. The yellow wire needs to go to the negative leg of the brake switch, and the white wire is not used at all.

The cruise control is now functioning properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts