Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
How many miles, and do you drive it hard? If miles are high the mounts might be bad, if low and you drive it hard same thing. Beyond that, could be fuel injection is not off or objectors them selfs, even a problem with your cams, I would take it somewhere to diagnose the problem, most shops do that much for free.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Is it 'hunting'? Or is it a stable RPM and vibrating? Is it the engine vibrating or the gearbox? Have you checked all of your oils?

Have you had the spark plugs replaced yet? Although the plugs are supposed to last 100,000km, Mine had to be replaced around 85,000 as it was running pretty poorly and at one stage shuddered off the line and threw a 'check engine' light.

A couple of things to check and mark off the list :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Like I sad RPM is not stable,that's why I can feel vibration from engine.Oils are ok.Plugs are changed at 80 000km.Thanks guys for quick reply!
OK... give us RPM swing you are seeing at idle. ( in drive and in neutral) I've seen the vibration coming from the hood that was setup by a frequency of the engine. Move the rubber grommets and the vibration went away. Let us know what your RPM swing is

·
Registered
867 Posts
^^ too true, it's going to be a task of elimination to work out what's going on. Did you suddenly notice it? If so, can you recall when, and what did you do to your Versa before this happened?

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 08 versa has had this issue since 15k miles the rpms fall from 900rpms to 550rpms if you let up of the brake a little the rough idle goes away it has to due with the amount of vacuum being pulled on the brake booster from the engine. I currently have 121k miles on the car. the problem might be able to be solved by having the engine management system updated at the dealer but for me I will live with it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a problem once with a car running rough. Ended up being a cracked gas cap. Replaced it and the car ran fine. I guess moisture was getting in or pressure was being released. The cap may have been damaged during a fill-up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008 versa rough idle

I have the same problem. It began when stopping on off ramps from highways. Now it is at most red lights and stop signs. It get worse the longer I drive during the day. The car has over 200k miles. Spark plugs have not been changed.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I have the same problem. It began when stopping on off ramps from highways. Now it is at most red lights and stop signs. It get worse the longer I drive during the day. The car has over 200k miles. Spark plugs have not been changed.
Damn 200k without plug change? I thought I was pushing it at 148k. I too get a hesitation at a stop once in awhile. Might be plugs.

·
Registered
690 Posts
How's warmup running? Ie open loop running? Run better for the first few minutes until the blue coolant temp light goes out?

Any codes?

Taking the plugs out is a great indicator of overall running condition, also gives you a good opportunity to see how much oil is in the intake manifold. There is no EGR on the MR motors (not the NA ones at least). Injectors can always cause rough or unequal running, causing vibrations. A universal scan tool can do a quick cylinder balance test, which can be a good indicator of compression, injector flow rate (or lack of), valve seating etc.

Motor mounts transmit very noticeable vibrations when they go bad. You can grab the motor and shake it front to back motion and see how easy it is to do that. Watch the mounts while this happens, there should be some movement, but if you see cracks in the mounts or excessive movement then you have a problem. You would need to take out the intake and battery to get a look at the tranny mount. They are soft as butter stock.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I get a weird cyclical idle at times, not sure how to describe it. It'll like a wave...result in a brief shudder, then the wave subsides. Usually at the the stop light.

I really hope it's not the engine mounts. As I am out of warranty and already had enough problems with this car.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Bring it somewhere for proper diagnosis. There is a lot of nonsense in this thread, including egr - which these cars don't have, cracked gas cap - couldn't possibly cause this problem, cams - without an engine light, and how?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have same exact issue with a 2014 version, automatic. Vibrates when at idle while in gear. Buttttt, Im pretty sure it vibrates while driving but not as noticable. It does seem to come from the engine and vibration travels through floorboard, seat, steering wheel. Sometimes it is worse at random but I have noticed when car at a an incline it's worse. 85,700 miles on it. Motor mounts and spark plugs recently changed to see if would fix, has not. Put a can of gas of Sea Foam in the gas a couple of times...still vibrates. Air filter was very clean. Also to note, when AC turned on (live in fl.) the thermostat? kicks on very frequently (seems like every couple of minutes which I can audibally hear) which makes rpms jump about 500 rpms suddenly when it kicks on which makes the car feel like it's trying to jump forward, drops when thermstat kicks off. When sitting still and ac off the rpms do drop 500 rpms then go up. So it can be around 650 rpms I say and jump to 1000-1100. "cold" Florida start rpms are around 1200. Very annoying. Any semi clear cut ideas cause and how to fix? :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts