Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, got it on sale just to try it, i've been running 75/90 Royal Purple in tranny for a while but never tried motor oil, makes the chains so loud, lot more valve clatter too.

My motor is well worn and needs the chain/works, i don't expect an oil change to get rid of all the noise but usually it gets markedly better. That's how i tell when my oil is watered down and needs changed, top end gets all clattery.

Anyone else try Royal Purple?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've run it in my Rabbit, not the V. I really have no complaints, but then It really hasn't been abused either.

I use it in the trasn as well. I like that well enough, a little stiffer than some oils, but not bad.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
my brother tried it a couple of times over the years in two different cars. He got the same result as you. Then engines sounded horrible running royal purple.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've seen it happen all the time, some people say the same thing about switching over to Mobil 1. I think RP is supposed to be a higher ZDDP oil, maybe that has something to do with it. It's distinctly the timing chain and tensioner pads, now given, it has had "chain slap" for a while but not as noisey as now. Same OEM Nissan filter that goes on every other Nissan engine except the Titan 5.6.

From Bob Is the Oil Guy poster:
"...the truer the syn the worse the "acoustics" I find (in some cases). I would not worry about a thing, this topic with M1 EP and others like AMSOIL (seem to be mainly PAO oils) has been brought up before and there should be no problem whatsoever."

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's interesting, the noise would concern me. But "Bob is the Oil Guy" usually has really good stuff, so that makes me less concerned. I use a lot of Amsoil products and haven't noticed worse acoustics, but it's only a couple of vehicles.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Never used the stuff. Sounds like it's too "thick" and not getting where it should be. I presume you used the same grade?
Sorry to disagree PP. I think the oil is too "thin".

I have read a while ago that synthetic oils are not ideal for older engines because of increased mechanical clearances caused by prolonged metal to metal contact. Generally, regular oil runs thicker (compared to syn oils) particularly when cold so it tends to fill and stays in the clearances longer compared to synthetic oils which just runs through.

I think a trick that old farmers used was to use thicker oil as their equipment ages to prevent things from rattling inside the engine.

I suggest draining the oil and using regular oil, maybe a grade thicker than factory recommended and see what happens.

I've never used Royal Purple but I've used Mobil 1 on my old SRT4 since new and never had any problem.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This motor is loud as hell, but hasn't blown up yet. Still pulls good too. I want it to so i have a reason to do MR20 swap. I have the lightweight flywheel and clutch kit waiting to go into it when the time comes. Might do it before the snow flies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.