Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m positive this has been discussed elsewhere here, but I’ll ask again...

I’ve owned a 2013, 2016 and now a 2019 Versa S. All of them have been the 5 speed manual.

Question is, why did Nissan choose to run the RPM’s so high in 5th gear? I’m pushing 3800 at 75 mph. That seems very high and that it would take a toll on the motor long term.

Why didn’t they add a 6th gear? Is there an advantage to such high rpm at 70 mph? Seems like gas mpg would suffer because of this as well.

Love the car overall, but this has always bugged me.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
36 Posts
Only speculation but when you only have 109 HP to work with you need a few RPM to accelerate. The CVT cruises at a lower RPM but when you step on the gas the RPMs come up quickly for more power. On a manual you would be downshifting a lot with a tall 5th gear.

Coming from a motorcycle background cruising at 3500 or 4000 RPM doesn't seem excessive at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense. I’m just used to my old Mercury Mountaineer V8 doing 80mph at 2,000 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Ive driven eco boxes for years and they are all like this. The 3 cylinder engine in the geo metro doubles as an air plane engine and those like many stationary engine run at 3600 rpms. So in effect that isnt too fast. Second like mentioned its in the power band. This car is one of very few I think nailed the gearing. It can haul ass from a dead stop and I love the extra power in top gear vs having the additional step of down shifting above highway speeds to go around a slower driver merge onto another section of road, etc.

Ive driven a few eco boxes with 6th and the rpm change was maybe 500 tops it seemed like the additional gear was wasted vs having an extra high over drive one. On some trucks they have 2 over drives one for towing and one for no load.

In my S the display reads just over 40 for mpg and I frequent 70+ mph speeds. :grin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand. However, if you compare our Versa S manual 5 speed running at 3800 rpm versus a Toyota Corolla manual 5 speed running at 2500 rpm, it does make you wonder why so much discrepancy between two similar cars.

·
Registered
940 Posts
A LOT of it depends on engine size, smaller engines cannot give away power due to lower rpm, power that bigger engines still have due to being bigger. At those lower engine speeds TORQUE is what moves the car, the smaller engines have none and so they spin higher to try to pull up horsepower instead as a replacement for torque. Torque is always the better way to do things though.

Even all the V-8s I ever drove also spun higher than 2000, more like the 2500 or so mentioned. 2000 is lugging practically any engine at higher loads than lower gears add, they wear out faster that low in speed. Spinning faster past a certain low speed lowers individual hits from pistons that left alone turns into battering damage on bearings and other parts. No engine is balanced perfectly and that shows up more at slower speeds too.

I HAVE commented before on how fast the 5 speed spins the motor in top gear, it seems they could have lowered it a bit for more mileage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
amc49
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing