Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I helped my son purchase a new Nissan Versa 1.8 with manual transmission. He had to drive about 200 miles to get home and most of the time he was on the expressway doing about 70 MPH with the cruise on. He said the tach was usually sitting at 3500 RPM's. Is this normal for this car? It seems kind of high? Thanks for any input.

Kurt Kampy

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I think others with the manual transmission have mentioned that the RPMs sit very high ... I have the CVT so the RPMs sit much lower ... hopefully someone with a manual can confirm the info for you!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yea, that is about right with stock tires. This 6 speed in the Versa sorta seems like a waste. 5th and 6th are very close, I would of liked to see a larger jump between the 2. I would say that the trans was probability designed for a diesel rather than a gas engine.

The 6 speed on my past cars were more of an overdrive. the R32 I was ~1500RPM @70. The vette was [email protected]

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
3500 seems about right, I do 90% of the driving on the express and usually stay within 3000-3500 RPMs. So its pretty common for this car.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The 4at is at 2700 rpms at 70 mph. Matters in wind conditions and variable timing seems to kick in 5 10 minutes after driving.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
The 4at is at 2700 rpms at 70 mph. Matters in wind conditions and variable timing seems to kick in 5 10 minutes after driving.
Yeah same here.

·
Registered
144 Posts
One of the few things I don't like about the Versa is the high RPM's at speeds around 70mph. At all lower speeds I can live with the RPM's vs listening to the automatic transmission.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
According to my Video, mine sits @ around 2900RPM @ 100Km/60MPH

Unless you have some sort of different gauge cluster the TPMS light doesn't illuminate at any certain mileage. Only if pressure is out of range or miscommunication between wheel and the "brain". I have 66k miles and been out of warranty for awhile and my light did not illuminate nor can I find info like that in the manual.

I have a 1.6 with 5spd and my rpms are exactly at 3200 while I'm cruising at 70mph on flat ground.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
about 2800rpm at 100km/h. 1.8L 6sp manual

·
Registered
330 Posts
One of the few things I don't like about the Versa is the high RPM's at speeds around 70mph. At all lower speeds I can live with the RPM's vs listening to the automatic transmission.
The 4at is quiet. I have heard that the cvt is not quiet. The 4at is the strongest tranny of the 4 offered. My feeling is correct in one reason being that the 4at can tow, while the manual can but at what cost. Soon to find out.:woot:

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
The 4at is quiet. I have heard that the cvt is not quiet. The 4at is the strongest tranny of the 4 offered. My feeling is correct in one reason being that the 4at can tow, while the manual can but at what cost. Soon to find out.:woot:
My cvt is very quiet. Tons of passengers have commented on how quiet the car is. However my CAI adds a bit of oomph to the sound. Lol. Especially when I floor it to get on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just personal preference I suppose. I never drove an automatic until I moved to the US so the standard 4 speed auto just feels weird to me. Then again as nice as the CVT is one thing I don't like is how it seems to whine just getting going. That isn't to say I wouldn't drive either a 4 speed or the CVT. I could always get used to the sounds and feeling of the auto's, think I'm just used to changing gears.

I'm sure both the 4 speed and manuals can tow from my understanding in the US the cost would be a voided warranty?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Unless you have some sort of different gauge cluster the TPMS light doesn't illuminate at any certain mileage. Only if pressure is out of range or miscommunication between wheel and the "brain". I have 66k miles and been out of warranty for awhile and my light did not illuminate nor can I find info like that in the manual.

I have a 1.6 with 5spd and my rpms are exactly at 3200 while I'm cruising at 70mph on flat ground.
I was joking when I made the comment on the video about the TPMS light indicating I was out of warranty, it does sound misleading so it will be removed :thumb2:

My CVT is around 2600 at 70 MPH.
yeah, that is so much lower than the 6spd

Just personal preference I suppose. I never drove an automatic until I moved to the US so the standard 4 speed auto just feels weird to me. Then again as nice as the CVT is one thing I don't like is how it seems to whine just getting going. That isn't to say I wouldn't drive either a 4 speed or the CVT. I could always get used to the sounds and feeling of the auto's, think I'm just used to changing gears.

I'm sure both the 4 speed and manuals can tow from my understanding in the US the cost would be a voided warranty?
what are you planning to tow?.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
14 Participants
aidan80
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing