Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello!! ive already made a post about this during the winter, but i’m just wondering if this rust is still normal for a 2014 Versa SV that is in the rust belt? i live in upstate new york so rust is super common but is this rust something that i should be concerned about? thanks!

·
Registered
382 Posts
seems pretty normal for the area you live in.

did you change the exhaust flange? did it break?

·
Registered
8 Posts
hello!! ive already made a post about this during the winter, but i’m just wondering if this rust is still normal for a 2014 Versa SV that is in the rust belt? i live in upstate new york so rust is super common but is this rust something that i should be concerned about? thanks! View attachment 18343 View attachment 18344 View attachment 18345 View attachment 18346
This is unfortunately a "normal" amount of rust for your area and age of the car, but normal doesn't mean I wouldn't have it repaired asap. The rust you've shown around the subframe, rear trailing arm bushing and oil pan for example can be fixed before it gets bad enough to lead to structural weaknesses.

I would replace the rear subframe bushings, so while the subframe is out of the car you have a chance to remedy all that rust as best as possible. Even a wire wheel job and 2-3 coats of epoxy black paint from your local Autozone should keep your undercarriage fresh for another 3-5 years.

My 2015 sedan has 100k miles. I just removed the rad support, rear subframe, bash bars and a ton of other exterior parts that started showing rust so they could be repainted, with cheaper Nissans unfortunately this is the reality. The metal is lower quality, and our OE exhausts rarely last past 80k miles even in milder climates. They'll be rust buckets by 2025 without some sort of preventative rust prevention.

-Douglas
Wood Bumper Metalworking hand tool Gas Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bicycle part

Sent from my Samsung S10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
My 2015 1.6s sedan looks about the same w/ about 54K miles on the ticker. It's lived in the Buffalo NY area it's whole life. I've shot the inner rockers and doors with fluid flim and woolwax over the past 2yrs and have sprayed the underside, but those products get washed off in areas that get road blasted, so they only way they'll really work on the areas you pictured is if you spot shoot them every few months.

That rear exhaust flange rotted right off my 2015 late this past winter. A local shop installed a Napa full cat-back system for $600. I could have done it myself for around $250 in parts, but couldn't bring myself to lay on my back under the car in February.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts