Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new 2014 Versa several months ago. I snapped a picture of the underside of the vehicle and discovered what appears to be rust on the steering knuckle(?). I am going to have it checked out at an independent shop first and then go to the dealer. Anyway, I am not sure it is anything to be concerned about, but nevertheless, it is a brand new vehicle.

Any input would be appreciated. Notice that the shock absorber appears to have rust. And tool marks on the absorber nut seem odd. Any thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
691 Posts
That is normal rust... there is no benefit to rustproofing steel like a knuckle, it is so thick it will outlast the lifetime of the car before it becomes structurally altered.

Upscale brands will use more plating/coatings on chassis components, but this is normal on any car of this caliber.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Give it time...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have looked at a 2007 Versa that was about half as rusted as mine. However, a look around on the internet has shown a few newer cars with significant rust. I talked to a friend that worked for a specialty metal company and he said that paint does not adhere well to cast iron or steel and that it should not be a concern. The issue I will bring up to the dealer is that I took these pictures days after I bought the car and it appears that there is no paint or inhibitor whatsoever on the knuckles. I'll post back after I get it on the rack and have a better look. Thanks for the response gentlemen, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Do you know if it was sitting on a bare ground lot? IE not paved just dirt? If so that would be the cause of the accelerated rust. The dew/ground sweating accelerates undercarriage rust like nothing else i have seen. Worked at a dealership that had a big lot that was unpaved, and every car that was sitting there for months had quite a bit of rust for a new car.

Pavement vs bare earth/grass makes a big difference in undercarriage rust. Trust me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know if it was sitting on a bare ground lot? IE not paved just dirt? If so that would be the cause of the accelerated rust. The dew/ground sweating accelerates undercarriage rust like nothing else i have seen. Worked at a dealership that had a big lot that was unpaved, and every car that was sitting there for months had quite a bit of rust for a new car.

Pavement vs bare earth/grass makes a big difference in undercarriage rust. Trust me.
It was at the dealership for a month and a half before I purchased it. Before that I don't know where it was stored, but you make a good point. It will be interesting to see the service managers response.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
thread cleaned up a bit. Let's just keep it clean and on topic about this new vehicle and it's rusty knuckle.

I agree this is nothing serious. I also agree about cars being parked on grass or gravel or any non paved area. Especially if the car is just sitting. I had a car that was 10 years old and driven everyday. It had hardly no rust underneath. The surface rust was very minimal. I then left the car sitting on a gravel and dirt driveway because I purchased the Versa. Well within a few months the rust under it was unbelievable. Just started attacking every single bare metal surface.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you kind sirs for the responses. This is what I am trying to ascertain. Are others having this problem? Specifically 2014 Sedans. I saw the exact model and year sedan as mine in a parking lot yesterday and was tempted to drop down and start snapping pictures, but didn't for fear the owner might walk up. To you 2014 Sedans out there, lower a camera and take a look. One person I know said that it was probably something missed at the factory(painting etc.), improper storing of parts(humidity, like in an area 07Versa6MT described). It may be something Nissan wants to know about(I already notified them in a survey).

When I go to the dealer for service, I am going to walk around to the new versas, drop down and snap some pictures of other vehicles. I am sure they will at least treat the area with some inhibitor.

Yes, I agree, it is not a serious problem, but still kinda curious.Thanks again.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Could be a late model chince out. I know for a fact they cut corners more and more the later the production year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
07Versa6MT
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing