Nissan Versa Forums banner

Scan Tools

9K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  frenchy chan 
#1 ·
since i plan to keep this versa for ten years, i am thinking about
purchasing a consult-iii, to save expensive trips to the nissan
shop. the consult-iii tools available have a wide range of prices.
i suspect those from china are questionable from the standpoint
that they may be cloned tools and may not be reliable

anyone on this forum have a consult-iii for the nissan versa?
would appreciate input based on your experience.

#2 ·
Since this is your 1st post i will say welcome! I never used or heard of consult-iii. I have a memoscan that i bought from ebay about 4 years ago. Probably made in China. Never used it on the Versa but used it on my 2001 Honda Civic and my gf 2005 Kia Spectra with good success.

#4 ·
The Consult III looks to be Nissan (Renault) specific.
Can it re-program TPMS sensors? That'd be cool.:coolgleamA:
I have an Innova 3160 W/ABS which works with all my OBD2 vehicles.
I've been happy so far.
Also, the Scanguage II "Checks for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs), clears the codes, and can turn off the "Check Engine" light".
I installed one in my Versa and it's a helpful tool to monitor and attain good mileage.

#5 · (Edited)
Funny, I was going to start a thread on the same topic. I was also looking for a scan and code reader too. One of my thoughts were to be able to tune my 1.8 to lean it out for better mileage and a program to talk ( communicate) back to the ECM would be goal. This might be above my knowledge level but I'm looking into it.

Cost is also a key issue. I looked at the Consult III and it is mentioned in the wiring manual. Not sure if you can communicate back to the ECM for tuning.

I was looking at the Antron CP9680 as it claims to give you Reported Fixes specific to the vehicle’s make. It also looks like the support stops at 2009 so that might be an issue. I will have to review the docs to verify . Ebay has them for about $180 but is a little more than my budget.

http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16364

Actron®

#7 ·
frency chan stated: "what do you want to use the scanner for?"

frenchy chan, thanks for responding. my 09 versa is just out of warranty
and since i am a DIYer, i would like to do most of my own repairs. i
followed one of the procedures in the FSM and it says i need to replace
the BCM (body control module). i would like to use the nissan-specific
consult-iii scan tool for confirmation. while some of the procedures in
the FSM state that you can use a generic scan tool, a LOT of the procedures
call for the specific consult-iii tool. and, if i understand it correctly, the
NATS (nissan anti theft system) requires the consult-iii scan tool to
troubleshoot; so for the long term which i plan to keep this versa, i
probably should invest in the consult-iii tool, even as expensive as
it is advertised.

Vinnie Versa: be careful with leaning. if a tool will let you lean the
fuel supply too much, the valves will run too hot (known by the old
timers as "burn the valves"). the valves will actually be destroyed
(i removed a valve that looked like a mushroom long ago, not on
a versa).

#8 ·
Gorp mentioned the ScanGagueII and and it looks like it will give me the live data and also the ability to understand codes as well as clear them. At this point, I don't have the experience to make any adjustments to the ECM. the programers and engineers have way more knowledge. I guess that was just wishful thinking on my part. I'm leaning towards teh ScanGagueII that Gorp mentioned.

#10 ·
Picked up the ScanGaugeII today and had some free time to install it in the dash. Pulled the top dash cover off and the plastic head cover. Snaked the OBDII connector plug up into the CD storage draw and made a back plate of of 3/8" plywood to velcro the ScanGauge II.

In the photo, I have the ScanGauge II TPS ( throttle position sensor) RPM, WT ( water temp) and MPG displayed in live mode. Updates every 2 seconds but you can tweak that too. I'm sure you can see that I am going down a hill with those numbers. <grin> The unit has about 25 gauge options, also OBDII code reader and engine light reset functions.
Plus and a bunch more options.

IGN Ignition Timing
LOD Engine Loading
FIA Intake Air Temp
VLT Battery Voltage
IGN Ignition Timing

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.