Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 1.8 engine. Two cylinders had 30 psi compression, so I removed the head and found badly burned exhaust valves. There is a screen in the block. When I was cleaning the head bolt holes with a shop vac the screen came out. One end is open and the other end is closed. My question is which direction is it installed? What is it's purpose? Which hole does it go in? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
939 Posts
You need to find the exact hole it went in. Likely a filter to keep trash bits in oil from blocking a passage with a small restrictor in it. If you can look with a spot flashlight and see in any hole a very small hole or a piece that looks like pressed in that may be it. Sometimes they use a plug with a small hole drilled in it as that restrictor, it then gets pressed into place. The filter helps keep the small hole open. Most likely the closed point goes in first, as an assembly quick aid but if the restrictor is right there then it may go the other way to keep right over the small hole open, like a tent over it. You'll have to judge the use there.

It may well go into the oil feed hole to the head, they often can be restricted to force most oil to the lower end.

I'd be looking for why those valves burned, there is generally a reason when more than one goes. Cat clogged? Muffler internal collapse? Depending on the valve adjusting method, a valve can burn too when its' clearance drops to zero, then the leak from being held open burns it. Reason for looking being, it may turn around and do it again pretty quick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yes I believe the screen prevents particles from going into an orifice. I just don't want to install the head and reassemble the engine only to find out that I installed it backwards, which I am good at. I think I will stop at the Nissan dealer to find out for sure. I tell my sons to let me install things and then have them turn it around and we will know it's installed correctly. Good point on checking the cat being plugged. I will do that. I purchased an overhauled head with new valves so the clearances should be correct. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Cobb
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing