Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look at and test drive a 2011 Versa Sedan this weekend to purchase for $2000. It only has 21000 miles on it. It has been wrecked but the owner says it runs fine. It only needs a Hood, Front Bumper or "bumper cover". Not sure what its called exactly. I can get all the parts from either pullapart or rockauto for around $300.
I'm just looking for input on what to look for when checking out the car and what other things to consider when inspecting the hood issue. Also wondering if the lights and hood can be put in first and the front bumper cover later on or all at the same time.
Any more advice on what to look for regarding anything on these cars would be appreciated also. Sounds like a really good deal to me. I think I can handle the work. Are these body parts complicated to install?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
You should get the VIN and run a carfax if not an autocheck report on it. Your local nissan dealer should charge you an hour labor to look it over for you.

In general the cvt is the weak point, next up is the 4 speed transmission. They have had recalls on the coil springs.

To me my concern would be it was in an accident that likely total it costing more to repair vs replace. These cars are not a good financial investment as they are cheap and depreciate rapidly.

Other concern is that its really 120 thousand miles vs 20 and that its got smog issues. It wont pass smog.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I honestly would pass on it. Sounds like a buy back from an insurance company.

Besides the front end, how are the core supports? The unibody bent anywhere? Were the strut towers tweaked in any way?

Reactions: Cobb

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Good points. The salvage title can be a real issue. I tried researching this before but I dont think you can register a car with one in VA or get it insured. A lot of craigs list cars they dont tell you its a salvage title til the deal is almost done or you discover it when you make the deal and get a salvage title in hand vs a real title.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I tried researching this before but I dont think you can register a car with one in VA
Well, in OH in order to register a car with a salvage title you have to have it inspected by the state highway patrol (at your own expense). I am sure other states have some king of provisions (though a pain in your ***) to verify that your salvaged car is safe to operate on the public roads.

or get it insured
You should not have a problem to insure it for a liability part of your car insurance if the condition above is met and your salvage titled car is registered with your state and you have license tags for it. But it never hurts to check with your auto insurance first.

But again, it boils down to a cost–benefit analysis: do you really want to get into it...

·
Registered
253 Posts
In most states you can insure it but only for liability....nothing else. That leaves you with $2,000 + repair costs hanging out there if you total it. I'd pass also.....these cars are just to cheaply built to stand a wreck and still be really road worthy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.