Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2016 versa a week ago. I've noticed at highway speeds (70mph) the steeling feels a little squirrely. Is this normal with this vehicle or should I be taking this back to the dealership? I was driving a Buick rendezvous before so it definitely drives and rides different to what I was use to

2016 Versa sedan (5speed) 10,800miles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The 2018 Versa S I bought new does the same thing. Drives me nuts! I think the problem is the electric power steering design.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
I like it myself like how the old hydraulic power steering was back in the day. Plus the power steering motor is under the dash vs on the steering rack.

You could pull the fuse for it, but then you will not have power steering and an idiot light on the dash. I did that in a hybrid I owned which did mostly highway driving and I save 3 mpg.

·
Registered
300 Posts
As I already posted in another earlier thread, the electric power steering (EPS) has the power steering module, which allows the system to be fine-tuned by reprogramming the module's software. I would certainly take this Versa to a dealer and let them sort it out.

Just want to add that I drive 2017 and 2018 Versa 5-speed sedans, and the EPS is not touchy or extra sensitive at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you for the input, slickversa! I'll definitely do that and let everyone know the results

Cobb, since I've only had it a week I'll take it back to the dealership. But that's good to know

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Good to know it can be programmed, but I question my dealers willingness from previous visits.

I do a lot of tight moverning and crank the wheel with my palm as a pivot point around and around while I work the shifter with the other.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You might want to have the dealership check the 4 wheel alignment. My 2016 Versa has a mind of its own at highway speeds. Feels like the car is always swaying back and forth from side to side. It's hard to keep it going straight. I haven't had the time to take it to the shop but I will while it's under warranty. Others here have said a 4 wheel alignment solved the issue. I rented a 2016 Altima about 2 years ago that had the same issue. I was the first person to rent that car. I hope all Nissans aren't like that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My car was like this when I first got it, it was sensitive as heck and highway speeds were no fun at all. Oddly though, (I bought the car in the December and had snow tires installed at the dealer), when I came in for summer tire changer-over and state inspection, when I left, it was all better. I figured they must have done updates to the computer when they plugged into it for state inspection/emissions. I asked them what they did, as I was very pleased to have some heft in the steering so it wasn't so dang sensitive, but they said they didn't do any updates, so I dunno....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Before anyone starts messing with the electric power steering, a far more common and easier to fix way of dealing with squirrelly steering is to have the front end properly aligned and make sure tire pressures are equal for each side of the car.

This is true even when the car is brand new. Front end alignment should have been done as part of dealer prep, but it isn't always.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Me, I like quick steering and what I do is use tire psi ratings and I set the front to negative camber a degree or 2. This way the car corners better. Im always merging and its difficult to merge on a long winding curve unless you are willing to exceed the speed limit, at least in my experience. I dont understand why people will void some traffic laws, but obey others? So being able to comfortability handle a corner on a curve is a great advantage to me.

Yeah, that was the first thing I had done as I could feel it was off was paid 100 bucks to get a 4 wheel alignment. The rear axle stubs can be shimmed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 2015 feels the same at 70mph and I don't like it. Feels like too much air building up under the car. I thought the issue was the car is so light. But I'm going to ask at the dealer next service, if there is an update to the EPS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts