·
Registered
452 Posts
now ive got one question bob can our drivetrain handle 180hp? lol

·
Registered
354 Posts
Aww ...

Yes tinted windows are a must. I felt like I was inside of a fishbowl before!
Lol, what a funny way to think about it....poor goldfish, at least we can get out of our cars.

But yes, I know what you mean...and especially being lower than a lot of other vehicles on the road, I feel like everyone can see into my car and like it was too vulnerable. I don't like people that stare at you on the road while everyone is in stopped traffic and act like they've never seen another human before.

Tint is a must, whether it's just the legal limit or pretty much limo tint. You should do it! It's worth the price for the privacy lol

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Lol, what a funny way to think about it....poor goldfish, at least we can get out of our cars.

But yes, I know what you mean...and especially being lower than a lot of other vehicles on the road, I feel like everyone can see into my car and like it was too vulnerable. I don't like people that stare at you on the road while everyone is in stopped traffic and act like they've never seen another human before.

Tint is a must, whether it's just the legal limit or pretty much limo tint. You should do it! It's worth the price for the privacy lol
Yes after being followed to work in my first car and threatened by the driver behind me, I got tint right away in the Versa. Some people are so creepy. It's disgusting.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
now ive got one question bob can our drivetrain handle 180hp? lol
Okay, just to try and clear up some questions posted and emails I’ve received and keep this thread on topic I’ll try to take care of all concerns and questions.

This system will be based on the same proven system that has been used in Mazda’s and Honda’s for over the past five years...on displacements ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 liters without causing any failures of the following....engine/transmission (Manual/clutch assy/CVT/Auto) or to differential gears and last but not least motor mounts. And I’m sure Nissan is as good if not better then Mazda or Honda.

“This supercharger setup combines the throttle response of the Roots supercharger with the compressor efficiency of a turbo, but without the lag. And the Rotrex does this without noise, without oil lines connected to the engine, and without the heat common in turbo applications”. The Rotrex is a more modern system with less plumbing and heat issues that turbo’s have to contend with. The reason behind choosing this system and Oscar a genus when it comes to supercharging setups.

As for gas millage....if you drive the car normally.....it will be the same as you get now only when you get on it will it suffer.....but that’s true without any mods.

Cost for the system will be in line with those for Mazda and Honda...in the three thousand dollar range but long term it will be a simple and reliable but effective setup and not changing the basic Versa/Cube ideals of good fuel economy and plenty of interior room it’s just now you’ve given it some BA%#S the factory failed to address!

My philosophy is simple for anything I plan for our cars....quality, reliability and things that just really work that will make the cars more fun to drive yet still can be used as “grocery getter/kid transport” if so desired!

Well, I hope I’ve covered everything.....

Just a side note to those that are asking about a "Short Shift Kit"....I read this article about the Juke in auto blog and this is what they had to say bout the Juke's manual transmission which I believe is the same as our cars.

"A six-speed manual gearbox with surprisingly short throws is available in front-wheel drive models".

Here is the link: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/26/2011-nissan-juke-first-drive-review-road-test/

Enjoy! :party:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Any word on the rear fascia for your car Bob? I'm interested to see how it looks with your new tails!
Hey Ashley! I have no idea...everyone I know at Nissan is on vacation so for all I know it's sitting on the dock in Long Beach waiting to be sent to Nissan then they'll ship it to me!!!! As soon as I get it I'll test fit it and if everything is okay off to the body shop for paint then on the car and pictures.

Have a great weekend. :cheers2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I'm writing this hoping I'm wrong about some of the components in the kit, but as someone who's done a couple turbo upgrades the 'hard' way (i.e. involving ECU reprogramming) I definitely have some questions about how the extra boost is controlled and monitored. Can you explain more about how the management system works because this sounds an awful lot like a FMU setup where fuel pressure is just boosted based on boost pressure and the stock injector pulse width isn't changed. Is this what we're talking about, because that sort of 'control' is seriously barbaric and a sure fire way to shorten the life of your injectors. Are the stock injectors really capable of putting out that much extra fuel? I'll assume the stock fuel pump will have to be replaced with one capable of overloading the stock injectors? Also is the stock MAF touched in any way, i.e. is clamping and a conversion to speed density required or does it just read and meter all the extra flow from the blower and somehow not freak out the ECU's long term fuel trim values? I mention this because I know from experience that if you throw off these values with MAFS readings the ECU is not expecting you fuel delivery gets increasingly screwed up over time. What AFR can be expected at WOT? Also how is ignition timing controlled? Most if not all of these things are typically modified so I have a hard time believing reliability will not be impacted. The 'plug and play' aspect of this install, to me, assumes a lot of stock engine control components will carry on as normal.

That said, a well plumbed bolt on supercharger kit would make things a lot easier than bolting up a turbo between the engine and firewall and dealing with custom everything from the manifold to the intake and exhaust piping. I'd love to have the supercharger and piping but if it were me I'd want to be able to tune it properly with a good piggy back like the AEM F/IC with properly sized injectors and MAF clamping (if necessary) and have precise control over fuel injector pulse width and ignition timing with wideband O2 sensor feedback even if it is a fairly low boost setup.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No, your okay...you do not need to change the Engine it's just that I'm going to upgrading my MR18 to an MR20 and this kit will fit either of the MR mtr's. So it will be plug and play on and MR18 OR MR20.....so with the MR18 it will be appx 180hp's.

Hope this explains it better.

how the heck do you increase the 1.8 liter to the 2.0 liter without increasing cylinder volume? bolt-ons won't increase cylinder volume, only boring will.

puzzled.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Kaplooi.....this is not turbocharging and all the headache's that are involved with them and I too have experience with upgrading the turbocharging systems on the 300ZX TT along with Jim Wolf Racing and why I thought the best way was with the Rotrex system for our cars that has been proven on Honda's and Mazda's for over five years without any problems.....there simple.....modern......easy installation.....AND RELIABLE! There is no monkeying around with computer boxes/piggy backing ignition timing bigger injectors or manifolds etc. you don't have to worry about much of what you mentioned and the easiest way to tell you is "don't over think it" all there is a management unit that "plugs" into your fuel injector wiring between the injector and harness and your done....it changes the pulse to the injector so that it stays open longer and this is all in milliseconds and this also helps with it being CARB legal. And Oscar who I am working with has been doing supercharger systems for over ten years with Jackson Racing and again with great success so this is not a one off and is from a proven background....I wouldn't want anything less for our cars. It will be thoroughly tested and dyno'd before it's okayed for sale.

Led hed....You don't need to increase cylinder volume all the time there's other ways...it's all in the stroke with the MR series engines much like the old L series mtrs. from the 510/Z car days. just look at the Sentra spec's with there 2.0 ltr mtr. and you'll see the "Stock" increase in hp/tq from our 1.8 cars and my guy which has been building NISMO/Stillen race engines for years is going to do some tricks to it to get some more out of it.....no I'm not going to be porting the head...there is other ways to increase the hp/tq. Again I am dealing with highly qualified people in this project.

Gregg....Unfortunately this system will not fit black Versa Sedans :biggrinjester: and same with Theo....it won't fit black Versa Hatch's...:biggrinjester: But for the rest of us it will be around 5-6 pds of boost.

Bottom line...this is being put together with the help of qualified and knowledgeable people that has been doing things like this for years (20+) both for street and racing...like NISMO and Jackson Racing among others so it will be done right and reliable and an easy install so that you can install and not have to worry about anything else. So just don't "over think" this....you won't have to.....that's for us to do for you before it's sold to you guys. :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
bob tell jackson racing to up the boost on mine :p being as my clutch will here in 3 weeks :p

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Gregg....Unfortunately this system will not fit black Versa Sedans :biggrinjester: and same with Theo....it won't fit black Versa Hatch's...:biggrinjester: But for the rest of us it will be around 5-6 pds of boost.
You know what will fit??? my foot in your ass. :ciappa:

21 - 40 of 446 Posts