Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just the other day my "service engine soon" light came on
no idea why, never had a problem before.

Only things that have been done was an oil change a few months ago
and i filled up on gas on sat night.

Nissan said to check my gas cap lol.. which i was wondering exactly why.
and i know i cant get it serviced by them cause my warranty was blown like 6months into getting my v lol due to mods.

So any suggestions guys/girls?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Did you check your gas cap?

If you got gas on Saturday night and they didn't tighten the cap all the way or didn't put it on your Engine Light will come on. It has to do with the pressure in the gas tank or something like that, I know this cause it happened to me!

I filled up my gas tank, the next day my light came on. I took it to Nissan and 10 mins later they said, "When you got gas they didn't put your gas cap back on." lol Got a new one and it went away..

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe it is the gas cap, but i checked and it was on tight.

and you got a new gas cap? and it went away?
hmm.. maybe i should just go get a new one

thanks for the info!

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Did they tell you that your warranty was void because of the modifications?

Doesn't Nissan need to prove that the mods caused the issue. So unless they can prove it, still take it in to them. It is worth a shot. I would at least try.

Try tightening the gas cap again, or re-fueling a bit to see if that could set it off.

·
Registered
620 Posts
maybe it is the gas cap, but i checked and it was on tight.

and you got a new gas cap? and it went away?
hmm.. maybe i should just go get a new one

thanks for the info!
I had to get a new gas cap because mine was just missing completely.. but just make sure that it is on correctly and tight. If the problem still exists go back to your dealer..

Also what mods do you have done? I have done a few things and my warranty was never voided because of it.. and usually if it does affect your warranty it should only affect that "area" of it (like electric and all that).

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i tried tightening the gas cap but to no avail the "service engine soon" light is still on. I will try to do what you said blindsnyper and let you know the code

and for warranty wise i would have just thought i would have voided it.
i've got a CAI, HIDs, lowering springs, custom catback and smaller mods from there

·
Registered
620 Posts
1. take your gas cap off then put it back on.
2. what mods have you done to your V that voided the warrenty???
3. if it is not the gas cap you can get the code and know what the problem is....

1) Sit in the driver's seat.2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the MIL light flashes.5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

let me know the code and i will tell you what it is.
Wow, thats a lot of stuff to do. My Supra had something like this but I had to use a paperclip. lol

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
well i tried tightening the gas cap but to no avail the "service engine soon" light is still on. I will try to do what you said blindsnyper and let you know the code

and for warranty wise i would have just thought i would have voided it.
i've got a CAI, HIDs, lowering springs, custom catback and smaller mods from there
I would still asking take it into them.
Others have more work done to their Versa in various places in the US, and they've had no problems with warranty work. It doesn't hurt to take it into them.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i wish i could use a paperclip to solve this :( lol

and well i have an appt. booked for next monday at 8am unless i solve it before then :p

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol havent gotten around to doing it...
sorry to say i've been a little busy, might do it tonight and make a video and post it
cause im sure i wouldnt know what the hell to write down for the code properly even with your description :p

ps. i filled up gas again and its still on :(

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
3. if it is not the gas cap you can get the code and know what the problem is....

1) Sit in the driver's seat.2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the MIL light flashes.5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

So i tried this and i couldnt get that MIL light you speak of to flash or anything, i feel like a tard i tried it like 5-6 times to no avail :S am i doing it wrong? lol..

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

So i tried this and i couldnt get that MIL light you speak of to flash or anything, i feel like a tard i tried it like 5-6 times to no avail :S am i doing it wrong? lol..

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oki dok

well i have an appt on monday at 8am so we'll see what nissan says!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.