Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! My hubby and I purchased a 2010 versa in february. It's never really been any trouble (only difficulty was a radio - didn't come with one, so the hubby installed one).

2 weeks ago the service engine soon light came on. We took it to auto zone to check the code (our closest nissan dealer is over an hour away) - it was about an emission leak, the guy said more than likely a loose gas cap. My hubby tightened it, and we've been driving as usual.

Today I needed to fill up (it seems to drink gas now) and the gas cap literally fell off. We filled up, tightened it until it clicked several times, and went maybe 3 or 4 miles. My hubby checked it again - the cap fell off again.

My question is - what happened to it? The guy at auto zone said the code was showing up 3 or 4 times, but the light hasn't came on until now. Could the faulty (I'm assuming a gas cap shouldn't just fall off, lol) cap be the problem? The dealership is closed until monday, so I must wait. And, is it covered under warranty?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
just take it to the dealer and they should fix it and probably replace the gas cap for free.

that's what factory warranties are for, IMO

·
Registered
444 Posts
Damn, an hour away for a dealer. I've got a handful of choices within 10 miles. Lucky me.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
:shocked::shocked:
Wow...there are about 3 within 15 minutes of my house but wow, that's close! At least if your car won't start one day or you get stranded, you can just push her to the dealership! lol
The one closest to my house is where I bought my Versa. They were the only Nissan dealership in Hamilton for years. This past spring/summer a second Nissan opened up in Stoney Creek (which is a part of the Greater city of Hamilton). They recently left me some coupons on my windshield when I was parked at work. One was for a free car wash (which I tossed) and an oil change coupon for $26. I might keep that one for the winter time when I don't want to be changing her oil in -40 degree weather !

·
Registered
174 Posts
My son came over this past weekend with his '00 Volvo that had failed the (illinois) emission test due to a SES message.
I inspected his system for obvious leaks then scanned the computer using my Innova 3160 ABS + CanOBD2 Scan Tool
Check this youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIbtZfculEk
He was showing code "P0442":
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0442
I erased the code using the scan tool, then he replaced the gas cap.
So far, so good.
I bought the scan tool this past winter on amazon.com. It seemed that every time I needed one, it was too late to rush out and purchase one so I figured I'd get one for myself for christmas and wait for the need, which inevitably came.

·
Premium Member
4,523 Posts
Everyday? For what?

I've only been there a few times this year. I went there last week to buy an oil filter from the parts department. Other than that, I never step foot in there.
I go up there to take pics of my baby by her sisters and to see any new cars. Like Last time I went...they had a 2011 SL sedan. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an update - took the versa to the dealership today. They said it had the code (loose gas cap one) 25 times. They actually thought I didn't know how to tighten it, lol. They are ordering a replacement cap. And, off topic - how many miles a gallon do you get? I'm lucky to get 300 miles on a tank of gas - dealership said its bad gas, but its anywhere I buy it.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Just an update - took the versa to the dealership today. They said it had the code (loose gas cap one) 25 times. They actually thought I didn't know how to tighten it, lol. They are ordering a replacement cap. And, off topic - how many miles a gallon do you get? I'm lucky to get 300 miles on a tank of gas - dealership said its bad gas, but its anywhere I buy it.
With A/C on, and some mixed driving (highway & city) I'm getting at least 500kms per tank lately (which is just over 300 miles). I can get more per tank, just depends on how I drive and if I use the A/C.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.