Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am new to the forum. I have 2010 hatchback automatic. Couple of weeks ago the shifter got stuck in park and I have been manually depressing the shift lock. Any ideas on what the issue could be. I'm really hoping it's not the whole control. Thanks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Moynahan,

I am no expert in the 2010 but I wanted to ask for a little clarification that might help. What do you mean by "I have been manually depressing the shift lock" ? Can you describe more specifically? Are you saying the button doesn't work but you have somehow accessed the cable linkage for it and are pulling it with some pliars or something to be able to move the shift lever?

Sorry to ask obvious questions but are you pressing the brake pedal when you try to shift out of park? Most late-model vehicles require the brake pedal to be pressed in addition to the shift button on the shifter, in order to be shifted out of park. Not at all trying to insult your intelligence, just trying to make sure there is no misunderstanding of the operation of the shift lever. Hopefully someone with an automatic will chime in here, I'm just going off of my general knowledge and it seems to me that virtually every automatic vehicle I have stepped into newer than 1996 has required that dual brake+button press to shift from park, regardless of make or model. Maybe something is different about the 2010 versa so we'll see if anyone else drops in here with better information but I think it will definitely help in the meantime if you can give us some more details. Don't suppose you are handy with a camera and could upload a short video showing the problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yes I normally press the brake pedal then the button on the shifter to engage it into drive or reverse but that no longer works. The clicking noise when the brake pedal is pressed down has disappeared and does not allow the shifter to shift into gear. I removed the shift lock tab and push it down manually every day. It's just becoming more of an annoyance and would like to fix it. I know on these newer models, well mine at least there is no separate solenoid to switch Nissan made it one big control device. I was just wondering if it could be something simple or cheaper than the whole device. Thanks Paul. Also I'll get a video when there is some day light tomorrow.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Sounds like probably the chain of command died at the brake release. I don't know about your car in particular but many seem to use basically like a bicycle brake cable to run from some linkage on the brake to the shifter. The cable doesn't normally go bad but perhaps some plastic part it connects to on one end or another broke off.

My two cents, and remember I'm just some random guy off the internet, but if it were my car I think all we really want is to be able to get in shift and go so we don't really care if the brake-release-safety works, do we? You probably see where I am going with this and it might sound like bad advice to remove or disable a safety feature but the fact is many many many old cars worked perfectly good without needing an additional safety cable BS between the brake pedal and the shift lever. There is no safety garbage like that on my 1986 pontiac firebird with the automatic transmission. You just have to be smart enough not to be moving the shift lever out of park without your foot on the brake, no big deal.

So that being said if it were my car I'd be looking to remove or defeat that "safety feature" because all it really is is a broken PITA that someone dreamed up to try to further idiot-proof the car.

If it is a bicycle cable type of thing then its broken in one of two spots, right? Either at the brake pedal, or at the shifter.

I'd start with the brake pedal. You might have to do some weird contortionist crap but I'd try to get on my back and get my head where your feet normally go and see if you can identify that cable thing where it attaches to the brake. I have no idea how nissan does it but here is a pic of a mitsibushi setup:

If you can find that part and press the brake pedal a bit you might be able to tell if its broken where it hooks to the pedal or not. If the pedal moves and you see a little arm thing that looks like it *should* be pulling on the cable but its not, then you probably have your problem there. If it looks like its hooked to the cable just fine and seems like nothing is broke there then maybe its broke on the other end of the cable at the shifter (which will suck).

-------------------

Lets pretend for a second that you get under there in the wheel well, and you see the cable, and you see that its not connected to the brake pedal anymore.

If thats the case you should be able to test it but be safe about it. Set the handbrake if it works or else chock the wheels so the car can't roll away, then turn the key on but don't start the car (some cars won't shift unless the key is in the on position). See if you can get ahold of the cable with pliers and pull it, then see if the shifter will shift.

**IF** you can pull the cable manually and shift the shifter normally, you could go down to your local walmart or bait shop (are you a fishing guy/gal?) get yourself some basic crimp-on sinkers, go back pull out that cable with the pliers and crimp one of those suckers right on the cable so the cable is "pulled" indefinitely. Brake shift release eliminated.

**IF** there is a cable but its not broken at the pedal, then its broken in the shift assembly and we'll have to go from there.

**IF** there is no cable at all, then either the cable goes up closer to the master cylinder or perhaps nissan uses an electrical solenoid instead, although that would be the first ever solenoid-driven system I have seen or heard of. Everything I have run into so far uses the cheaper and longer-lasting bicycle cable system, but I am no expert just a shadetree DIY guy who doesn't even have the same vehicle/setup as you. I might be sending you on a big old wild goose chase for all I know...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are there any better threads or videos on this issue? We are having the same issue with a 2009 GTR. What does the GTR indicate? Just got this

1 - 5 of 5 Posts