Nissan Versa Forums banner

short ram or cold air intake

9K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  JVersa 
#1 ·
what will give the better MPG ? I need some help picking one. PLz help

#2 ·
Not sure about the mpg increase, but the takeda short ram, and the aem cold air are the most popular choices. I don't want a cold air, they sit to far down in the engine bay. Short ram just seems more safe from the elements.

#3 ·
Unless you drive thru lakes, CAIs are totally save. Plus you can always add a bypass valve. As to which one gives better MPGs I would have to say the CAIs because they take in more cold air which is better for engine. It also depends on your style of driving tho. If you have a lead foot then I would say SRI.

#8 ·
Open hood while driving... I uh... wouldn't recommend that. On topic. I personally have the short ram and love it; but I do know that if you go for the Cold Air and fear hydrolocking you can get a hydro-shield (I think that is what's it called) to combat hydrolocking

#9 ·
i live in a desert.
my economy DOES CONSIDERABLY get better during winter...
at first i thought it was due to using less a/c... but it was better even if i used a/c.

so i guess CAI is the perfect option for me....
but the outside temperatures are 40 deg C itself...
hmm i must direct a/c air into the intake XD

#10 ·
CAI will give better mpgs as stated by others above me. I personally have a Takeda SRI and its alright. I got like maybe 1mpg higher not quite sure. Pick one and try it out and let us know!

#12 ·
Cost isn't that high, DC CAI is like $180 off versaspeed. Intakes are usually bolt on, so you don't need a shop really, maybe if you are weary of disassembling a few parts of the engine bay. If you don't have fogs, some peeps drill holes into the fog cover to let colder air in while driving, works either way.

I cheaped out and did a drop in K&N filter, but I might upgrade later.

#13 ·
As stated above; it's quite easy to install and I think if you were to take it to a mechanic it might be around $100. I did it with a friend and it took about 45 mins and that's mainly because my Takeda SRI heat shield didn't have the appropriate mounts.

#15 ·
Good luck on the installation. It'll be nice to not be the only one with a customized Versa in Houston.

#17 ·
Yeah I chose the SRI over the CAI for the main reason of being safer from getting it water logged. My last car was an '93 Integra with a very low CAI and it got soaked when I drove through a flooded street. (It was a dumb idea)

#20 ·
If I believe correctly when you drive the SRI actually takes in air that flows toward the engine not hot air from the engine bay. (As with most naturally aspirated engines). The only time that I can see the SRI taking in hot air is if you stand idle with your engine on for a long time. I mean a long time, not just a few minutes at a stop light / sign. The SRI is shorter so that why it could be so close to the engine, the air does not have to travel far and not make any sharp turns to reach the engine. But then again, as with most posts about the Versa SRI/CAI, it is mostly up to personal preferences since both provides about the same improvement in torque and hp.

#25 ·
All the cai, and sri fit the MR18DET the engine that's in your, and all hatch backs. (unless you have the MR20 swapped in) You can get them at versaspeed.com/shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.