Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive 32k+ miles a year. That is more then double the average user. I would like snow tires but most of my driving is highway. Here in CT we get snow as early as November sometimes and goes to March. That is the extreme though. So in those 5 months that would be 1,300+ miles on snow tires. Typically snow tires are soft and wear alot when not driving in the snow. I'm afraid if I buy snow tires they will only be good for one season or maybe two tops.

My question is am I better off with some really good all weathers at this point?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Here's my van snow tires starting their fifth winter season

Started at 60000km, now at 185000km.
About a quarter to a third of that were on these tires.
I will have exact numbers when wife brings van home from work.
These are costlier tires and are surprisingly quiet!
Had cheap cheap snow tires on sentra, and were softer and noisier than these ones, but drove for three winters with wads of tread left when i sold car.
So, these snow tires [van and sentra] have lasted longer than i expected.
They are way better for hard [emergency] braking, and i don't get thrown around by slush anymore.:D:thumb2:
Easy call to make IMO

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I drive 32k+ miles a year. That is more then double the average user. I would like snow tires but most of my driving is highway. Here in CT we get snow as early as November sometimes and goes to March. That is the extreme though. So in those 5 months that would be 1,300+ miles on snow tires. Typically snow tires are soft and wear alot when not driving in the snow. I'm afraid if I buy snow tires they will only be good for one season or maybe two tops.

My question is am I better off with some really good all weathers at this point?
For the last couple of years we have not had too much snow; but we have had a lot of cold weather. I'm on my third season with these snow tires for the Versa (Hankook) and they are great. They are very soft, and there is still a ton of tread left. I expect them to last a few more seasons too. I also change them in October and remove them in April.
So I would say to buy snow tires. Much better to handle the car in bad weather and they should last a few winters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Also, it's pretty easy to throw on snow tires and rims with Versa.
A last minute DIY change is a piece o' cake!
But my van tires/rims are heavy! :(
Got them changed at local garage

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's my van snow tires starting their fifth winter season
Started at 60000km, now at 185000km.
About a quarter to a third of that were on these tires.
I will have exact numbers when wife brings van home from work.
These are costlier tires and are surprisingly quiet!
Had cheap cheap snow tires on sentra, and were softer and noisier than these ones, but drove for three winters with wads of tread left when i sold car.
So, these snow tires [van and sentra] have lasted longer than i expected.
They are way better for hard [emergency] braking, and i don't get thrown around by slush anymore.:D:thumb2:
Easy call to make IMO
So that is 42k km roughly. Like 26k miles or so. Not bad at all.

For the last couple of years we have not had too much snow; but we have had a lot of cold weather. I'm on my third season with these snow tires for the Versa (Hankook) and they are great. They are very soft, and there is still a ton of tread left. I expect them to last a few more seasons too. I also change them in October and remove them in April.
So I would say to buy snow tires. Much better to handle the car in bad weather and they should last a few winters.

But how many miles a season. One season of my driving is probably equivalent to 3 of yours.:D

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
So that is 42k km roughly. Like 26k miles or so. Not bad at all.

But how many miles a season. One season of my driving is probably equivalent to 3 of yours.:D
Lol. That's true. I only have a total of 40k on the Versa; which is why my snow tires and stock tires will last me a long time. Lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.