Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!
I have some questions about engine mods with an automatic transmission.. I heard that it's generally not a good idea to go too crazy with mods with an auto transmission, but I was wondering if there was anything minor I could do to give me some more power?

I'm planning on lowering it in the next week or two and putting an exhaust system as well, but I'm kind of dumb when it comes to other stuff. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
690 Posts
The typical crap applies. Don't expect gains to be easy, these motors have plenty of room for improvement, but they don't have enough of a following for things like turbo's and head improvements to be cost effective. It all has to be one off stuff. There's been plenty of chances for people to get more into it, just not enough interest. Jim Wolf Technology basically said they'd make cams for MR's if there was more interest. Unfortunately it would take at least 100 interested people for performance cams to be a reality.

There is a lightweight pulley out, but i doubt you'd feel it if you have an auto. Too much fluid damping in an auto to feel stuff like that. You probably know about all the minor intake and exhaust "crap". It is arguable that the stock intake does the same if not a much better job than a tube with a filter on it, not only arguable but mostly true. The only thing that can really be improved with the stock intake is the surface area of the filter, the only thing a cone filter improves but even that is debateable. Considering how much (or how little if you will) air is required at peak TQ, and how little the stock system restricts.

·
Registered
690 Posts
There is also a performance ECU and throttle body that Impul sells, but as i discovered later, it's like $1500... and thats with a good stock core ECU and throttle body return. Obviously all they do is reflash a stock ECU and put an Impul sticker on it, and most likely just bore out a stock throttle body a few more milimetres (which shouldn't show any gains on an otherwise stock motor). What makes me hesitant with that (even if i did have $1500 to blow on just an ECU and TB) is that they show no dyno graphs, or even tell you what they did with the reflash in general. Though apparently they do give you a high octane gas tuned ECU if you want it.

I think there was a member here that got an UpRev tune on his Versa (unknown whether regular gas or high octane tune) and only got an extra 5HP or so, which is nothing to sneeze at on an otherwise stock engine, but for that price ratio, i can do my own rear mount turbo set up and get at least 50HP from low boost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.