Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there! I have a 2007 Nissan Versa with 130,000 miles and is still running very well except that the ABS system is no longer working. The light came on 10 months ago and I took it to a repair shop and they totally messed it up. They said the rear passenger side sensor needed replacement, but when I went to pick up the car, they said the ABS computer system was totally down. Shortly after this repair, I started to hear this clicking/grinding sound from the bottom.
1. If I stop at a stop sign/traffic light, when I move my foot from the brake to the gas pedal, I hear that clicking/grinding sound once. Once the car is moving, it runs like new again until I hit the brake and then hit the accelerator again.
2. If I drive backward, I hear the sound when i hit the brake, but there's no sound when I move my foot to the gas pedal.
3. When the car is idling at parking or neutral, hitting the brake or the gas pedal produces no such sound.

What could be the cause, guys?

I was considering to totally disable the ABS system, but couldn't find a fuse that controls ABS. And after searching on this board, I feel it could be caused by the CV as some people mentioned in other cases. However, I haven't found another person with exactly the same issue as mine.

Thanks in advance for your direction!

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Best way to disable it is to unplug it.

Noises maybe from drum brakes. You should check all 4 corners or get someone to do it for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Cobb!

How do you unplug it? Could you please give me some detailed instruction?

The sound came from the central front, so it is not likely a drum brake issue. And it also comes when I press the accelerator.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi there! I have a 2007 Nissan Versa with 130,000 miles and is still running very well except that the ABS system is no longer working. The light came on 10 months ago and I took it to a repair shop and they totally messed it up. They said the rear passenger side sensor needed replacement, but when I went to pick up the car, they said the ABS computer system was totally down. Shortly after this repair, I started to hear this clicking/grinding sound from the bottom.
1. If I stop at a stop sign/traffic light, when I move my foot from the brake to the gas pedal, I hear that clicking/grinding sound once. Once the car is moving, it runs like new again until I hit the brake and then hit the accelerator again.
2. If I drive backward, I hear the sound when i hit the brake, but there's no sound when I move my foot to the gas pedal.
3. When the car is idling at parking or neutral, hitting the brake or the gas pedal produces no such sound.

What could be the cause, guys?

I was considering to totally disable the ABS system, but couldn't find a fuse that controls ABS. And after searching on this board, I feel it could be caused by the CV as some people mentioned in other cases. However, I haven't found another person with exactly the same issue as mine.

Thanks in advance for your direction!
You might want to have the front calipers checked to insure you do not have lose caliper mounting bolts. If you did, the caliper can rock back and forth every time you have the car in motion and step on the brake. If the shop messed up on the ABS system, there is a good chance they messed up on checking out the rest of the braking system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked both front calipers. All joints are pretty tight. I feel the sound comes from under the brake and gas pedals area. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Why would I unplug it, mines works perfectly and I do not autocross my vehicles or do dyno pulls. :grin

Yes, its always working doing self checks of all 4 channels, circulating fluid for traction rather you are accelerating, braking, or turning as it does all 3. At least the new ones do skid, trac and abs.

Did you check its fluid to see if its full and almost clear?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A Loose Bolt Was the Culprit

As I couldn't find anything really pointing to the area where the sound came from in this forum or online n general, and I had jacked the car up 3 times already, I took the car in to Muffler Man Auto Service Center in Lansing and they fixed it for free - tightened up a loose bolt down under and the noise was gone. That is why we need the professional, I mean the honest and good one!

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Good to hear. Thats the problem giving advice online. You do not know how smart or capable the person is and why we sometimes help some and tell others to go to a dealer or a shop.

Wonder if it was the steering shaft? Someone else said they had theres loose before. I know my floor mat use to rub it and now I got the dash apart I see they put the power steering motor inside the car right up under the dash, so that joint and tube has a lot of torque going through it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
danli48888
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing