Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a 2007 Versa with 128k miles on it. She drove on the highway and the speedometer stopped and the engine revved. She pulled over and turned off the car. After a bit she started it up again and it was fine for another few hours, then did the same thing. Again, she stopped for a bit and turned it off and on and it was fine for another while. Once she turned it off and restarted at a light and it worked again.

The dealer says she needs a new transmission for $4500. CVT of course.

Has anyone seen this before? Any help appreciated. We bought this car a year ago for 6k. Thanks.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My daughter has a 2007 Versa with 128k miles on it. She drove on the highway and the speedometer stopped and the engine revved. She pulled over and turned off the car. After a bit she started it up again and it was fine for another few hours, then did the same thing. Again, she stopped for a bit and turned it off and on and it was fine for another while. Once she turned it off and restarted at a light and it worked again.

The dealer says she needs a new transmission for $4500. CVT of course.

Has anyone seen this before? Any help appreciated. We bought this car a year ago for 6k. Thanks.
Did the "Check Engine" light go on, and did the dealer give you any of the error codes?? Below is a link to a video that may give you some helpful information regarding the transmission. As for the speedometer stopping, that may be caused by the failure of the transmission speed sensor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
After watching the above video, I started Google search on Nissan CVT and found Nissan CVT safe mode or limp mod.
According to Nissan safe mode definition, CVT transmission will enter safe mode when the CVT is getting too hot to prevent more damage to the CVT.
@versadriver128, your daughter's Versa was in the CVT safe mode. After she stopped driving to let the CVT to cool down, she was able to drive again. The safe mode is a good thing that Nissan Engineers put in the safe mode for her situation.
When is your last time that you changed the CVT fluid?

Someone replaced an Altima radiator with an after market radiator, he started to get the CVT safe mode issue. He replaced the after market radiator with a genuine Nissan radiator, his CVT safe mode issue went away.

The above video shows us how to change CVT fluid and clean the filters. It makes sense that we should do that as a regular CVT maintenance. Will Nissan dealer shop clean the filter and refill with fresh CVT fluid? If not, it will be a DIYer job!

·
Registered
63 Posts
The above video was probably made in Canada. He was using Canadian Tire house brand Motomaster spray cleaner and Motomaster CVT fluid - NOT Nissan CVT fluid. Motomaster CVT fluid is $10 each. He was spending $70 instead of over $200 for Nissan CVT fluid. For the cost of repalcing the CVT transmission, I will not cheap on the CVT fluid. I am wondering how long his CVT will last after this CVT fluid change

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Boy was that fluid black. Yeah, my honda I used honda brand then tried eneos(SP?). I thought it was better performing, but hte fluid was back after only 10 thousand miles. I went back to honda brand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts