Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently bought a '14 Versa Note SV with the CVT that has 63,000km (about 40,000 miles) on it. I've been having an issue with a kind of squealing noise when slightly accelerating when driving at about 50km/h (30mph). If I release the gas pedal, the noise stops but resume as soon as I slightly hit the pedal. The noise stops when I'm accelerating past 60 km/h (about 38mph) or so. Also, it stops if I'm accelerating harder. First went to the used car dealer I bought it from and they told me it was the serpentine belt that was making the noise, which was kind of surprising to me since it makes absolutely no noise at idle. They cleaned the pulleys and reinstalled the belt. Noise was gone for about 2-3 days and then came back as usual.

I've read a post on the Murano Forum that states about the same issue as I'm having on a '09 Murano with a CVT. link

Need help on finding what may be causing this. A CVT going bad? Anybody here had the same issue?

Powertrain warranty from Nissan ends on Dec. 2018 or 100,000KM.

Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi,

I recently bought a '14 Versa Note SV with the CVT that has 63,000km (about 40,000 miles) on it. I've been having an issue with a kind of squealing noise when slightly accelerating when driving at about 50km/h (30mph). If I release the gas pedal, the noise stops but resume as soon as I slightly hit the pedal. The noise stops when I'm accelerating past 60 km/h (about 38mph) or so. Also, it stops if I'm accelerating harder. First went to the used car dealer I bought it from and they told me it was the serpentine belt that was making the noise, which was kind of surprising to me since it makes absolutely no noise at idle. They cleaned the pulleys and reinstalled the belt. Noise was gone for about 2-3 days and then came back as usual.

I've read a post on the Murano Forum that states about the same issue as I'm having on a '09 Murano with a CVT. link

Need help on finding what may be causing this. A CVT going bad? Anybody here had the same issue?

Powertrain warranty from Nissan ends on Dec. 2018 or 100,000KM.

Thanks for helping.
If the noise went away for a couple of days, I would say your serpentine belt needs replacement, or there may be other issues. If it was the transmission, the noise would have not gone away at all. Listed below are other items associated with the belt that can cause problems:

So when, exactly, does one of these belts need to be replaced? Usually, you get plenty of warning before you hear the final Bad Noise, to wit, that squealing. A squealing noise is indicative of a problem, but might not require replacement of the belt. Misaligned pulleys or a seized tensioner or idler pulley can generate some noise as well.

A belt that's starting to disintegrate will show damage to the ribs or cords, which can usually be seen without dismantling anything. But you might need a flashlight and a dental mirror to see the fraying or cracking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the noise went away for a couple of days, I would say your serpentine belt needs replacement, or there may be other issues. If it was the transmission, the noise would have not gone away at all. Listed below are other items associated with the belt that can cause problems:

So when, exactly, does one of these belts need to be replaced? Usually, you get plenty of warning before you hear the final Bad Noise, to wit, that squealing. A squealing noise is indicative of a problem, but might not require replacement of the belt. Misaligned pulleys or a seized tensioner or idler pulley can generate some noise as well.

A belt that's starting to disintegrate will show damage to the ribs or cords, which can usually be seen without dismantling anything. But you might need a flashlight and a dental mirror to see the fraying or cracking.
Thanks for replying.

What they told me when I got my car back last week was that there was a pulley (or multiple pulleys, that I don't know) that had a little bit of surface rust on it that was causing some kind of tension when accelerating that made the belt squeal. They told me they cleaned the pulleys thoroughly and applied some protection to them. What I find strange in that claim is that it only does that between 48 and 58 km/h. (I am no mechanic but I am wondering why it would only make the noise in this speed range). I don't know if they checked for misalignment or bad pulley bearings.

Is there an easy way to check for misalignment by myself, or any pulley issue at all? (If pulleys were misaligned though, wouldn't the noise be heard on idle/neutral as well?)

Does the fact that it only makes the squealing noise if I accelerate slowly/normally consistent with the claim of the serpentine belt/pulley assembly issue? (If, for example, I accelerate a little harder (3000RPM and up), there's no noise at all).

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
Bearings typically make noises at certain speeds and at speeds half or twice that same speed. My first thought was cvt or windshield/door seal. So if you are parked it also makes the noise or only while in motion?

If you got a second person having them under the hood would help pin point this assuming it will do it stationary.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Thanks for replying.

What they told me when I got my car back last week was that there was a pulley (or multiple pulleys, that I don't know) that had a little bit of surface rust on it that was causing some kind of tension when accelerating that made the belt squeal. They told me they cleaned the pulleys thoroughly and applied some protection to them. What I find strange in that claim is that it only does that between 48 and 58 km/h. (I am no mechanic but I am wondering why it would only make the noise in this speed range). I don't know if they checked for misalignment or bad pulley bearings.

Is there an easy way to check for misalignment by myself, or any pulley issue at all? (If pulleys were misaligned though, wouldn't the noise be heard on idle/neutral as well?)

Does the fact that it only makes the squealing noise if I accelerate slowly/normally consistent with the claim of the serpentine belt/pulley assembly issue? (If, for example, I accelerate a little harder (3000RPM and up), there's no noise at all).

Thanks again.
Give this a look, and it will explain some of the ways to diagnose where the problem actually is. Good luck!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Give this a look, and it will explain some of the ways to diagnose where the problem actually is. Good luck!!

How to Fix a Squeaky Belt (figure out where the squeak is coming from) - YouTube

Very interesting video. Unfortunately, since the squealing noise is only heard when driving but not in neutral, I can’t test for noise. One thing I will do though is check for misalignment of the pulleys. Maybe a slight wobble intensifies while tension develops while accelerating.

I’ll keep you posted. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have that very same problem. Is it dirty, misaligned pulleys or is it something more sinister lurking and ready to fail? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have that very same problem. Is it dirty, misaligned pulleys or is it something more sinister lurking and ready to fail? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Nissan checked the pulleys and they said everything was fine. They replaced the serpentine belt and it fixed the noise but 9 months later, it started again especially when humid outside. The technical advisor from Nissan said that the belt should be replaced every year or 20,000 km (12,000 miles). The thing is, it gets expensive real fast since they need to remove the front bumper and a couple other things in order to access the pulleys and the belt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ahhh ok. Sounds like a pain to get ale care of. But our car has just over 100k miles. So I’m going to change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
980 Posts
Typical Nissan lies. Modern serp belts can go up to 100K miles before needing changing. The problem is often dirt though and depending on where you are certain types of belt will stick in belt carcass to promote slip and the belt then makes noise. There is no rule whatsoever that says a belt has to make noise at idle if it makes it while driving, literally each situation can be different.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2014 Nissan versa note is doing this very thing at 1-15mph as well. At first I thought it wasn’t that big of a deal and I thought well maybe it’s just because... But my mother-in-law has a 2016 Nissan versa note and she now has the exact same noise as I do. Seems awfully strange that two cars with completely different histories one two years newer have the exact same on the squeaking whenever accelerating at very low speed’s and it’s not a squeal is kind of a light chirp. It is coming from the engine belt/pulley side of the engine. Belts look good and are tight. Following this post. Usually, on other cars I have worked on, the squeal happens on startup with a loose belt, and changes with various loads like the a/c as it is cycled on or off. This isn’t the case with either Versa note. It happens in either reverse or drive, and usually stops after a while with continuous driving. Oddly enough, there is a sweet spot, if you accelerate more it goes away, and less it goes away. It seams more prominent with humid days, but it isn’t loud or obnoxious, just irritating knowing it’s there. I guess it must be a poorly designed pulley, just don’t know which one. :p My note has 50k and the other has 70k.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Right after a cold start with the a/c on, our 2015 1.6S has squealed for 2-3sec a few times in the 3 months we've owned the car. Car has ~43K miles on it. I figured the adjuster could use some adjusting. The 1.6 used a mechanical belt tensioner, where the 1.8 uses a spring loaded automatic adjuster.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Read my last phrase again.............

'...literally each situation can be different.'

You people look over and over thinking your situation is different but it's not. A belt vs. pulley noise thing can exhibit in a thousand different ways. The difference in speeds that the noise occurs at depends on the exact engines and gearing of the cars, they tend to make noise when the torque peak kicks in. Every belt wears differently as well and the wear in the belt vees can tilt the noise easily all over the place. Even the type of dirt in the area you mainly drive in can change it, take an area with lots of aluminum oxide in the dirt, you get more noise.

It's funny how with this issue you get too much description when on so many other things they never tell you nearly enough to be able to say.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts