Nissan Versa Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
security circuits are irritating. At least with the Germans I know it takes either a $100 ECU tune to code it out, or you have to use the key, ignition switch, cluster and ECU from the donor to keep it happy.

I updated my "garage" on here a bit so you can see a couple shots of my Frankenwagen. The picture of the interior is from last spring, after I got fed up with my latest "upgrade" to the Audi TT harness (I had lofty goals of adding ABS, and power windows/locks). Shortly after I went minimalist and full standalone.

Absolutely the MR20 is easier, and as long as I keep my V, that'll be my replacement if I get piston slap or some other engine killer. This is my simple tinker car, I have the complicated, expensive build already.

Reactions: NecosNote

·
Registered
691 Posts
Great to see someone who has electrical knowledge. I'm a mechanic and it's rare to find a mechanic who's good in driveability/electrical/modern EFI. That's where the money is being made, there will always be demand for driveability guys.

I'm in the same boat as you, the Versa is just my daily driver and i have a 1987 Porsche 928 S4 as my project car, it's turned more into a restoration than a project... but that's the way it goes. You want to make the old girl feel young again, new this, new that, countless time and effort into it and the motor still isn't back in. Torque tube was taken out, alot of stuff was actually. I could go on and on. I'm 20. Don't have as much experience as you with custom stuff, but i've always been good with diagnosis and driveability. Electrical doesn't really phase me, give me a wiring diagram and i can figure it out...

Reactions: NecosNote

·
Registered
11 Posts
So basically, if you want to do a swap with no headaches getting the Mr20 is your best bet, has anybody or does anybody know of someone who has successfully put in a sr motor into a Versa, was it a hatchback/sedan Auto/Manual?

I'm sure like everyone else funds are limited and I want to make the most of the funds I have to make my V put up decent numbers besides just sounding loud. Great discussion guys! I'm really loving the NVF!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well like Stolz said, you can get a motor running in there no problem, the engine has it's own circuit like anything else and as long as you supply the power it'll run. In fact i imagine the custom mounts and things like that would be much harder than wiring.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Also keep in mind I have an S Note that is bare bones & stick so I barely have wires that are gonna be an issue. Also most Nissan ECUs can be hacked with Nistune, so the possibilities are there. I wont lie tho Im freaking out thinking about cutting into a new car with only 14K miles & then theres the emissions crap I gotta deal with in Chicago. Trust me tho, I wanna do it, tired of Honda Fits getting all the fun products

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ahhhh, crook county. That's one thing I've avoided with my toy. As far as any official is concerned, it's still jsut an '84, so I was able to ignore and delete all of the emissions crap.

Could consider keeping the original drivetrain and swapping it in when an inspection is due. Could also try something like running both ECUs; would need some wiring trickery, but if Cook county is the same as Lake, it's just an ECU readiness check, which should be possible to manage.

Or find a relative in Will county (or another outlying county), where they don't do inspections and register the car there :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
im really tempted to do it the sr20 swap but I also looked into the juke swap but that's a 1.6 would I be better just turboing my mr18 worst case a all motor function and fourm versa im in cali so the cops are a bitch twords Honda's...lol
Turboing this motor may not be the best idea. It's a relatively untested engine and I don't think we know what it can really handle. Probably not much. Go all motor with an MR20 swap and some bolt-ons to start. that alone will net you roughly a 20%-30% power increase.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Turboing this motor may not be the best idea. It's a relatively untested engine and I don't think we know what it can really handle. Probably not much. Go all motor with an MR20 swap and some bolt-ons to start. that alone will net you roughly a 20%-30% power increase.
Thanks for the info I really dont wanna push the versa aside to go with the same tho.g everyone else have I wanna build a canyon/willow spring car I need a lol power so I might look into that swapp mr20 all motor and suspension work these Megan springs are coo but I need more low and stiffness right any other sway Bars you suggest

·
Registered
226 Posts
just the engine. It's a direct swap, you don't even need to change the ECU. All the 1.8 mounts, connections, hoses, everything, are the same.

What you get out of the MR20 is a longer stroke and slightly more aggressive (relative) cam. The ECU is smart enough to adapt to the swap.

you go from 120hp to 140hp, engine alone. add headers, exhaust and an intake and you can grab another 15. Improving the intake manifold would also help.

This car has skinny tires and a lot of body roll. be careful going too low, you will start to make it perform worse, as you either bottom out the suspension, or overload the tires.

2 biggest mistakes people make when "performance tuning" suspension is too much camber and going too low.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This project is one that I've been looking into and keep leaning more towards the QR25 due to Altima forums and their kits. Also so it passes emissions!!! Planning in the process of 2 years, NECOS never showed his mounts for the versa as he sold everything that was originally on it....
Every turbo/supercharge kit has never gone out of prototype... All these projects die out. So I'm still alive and well and will be building the 2nd gen sedan... Just give me time everyone. I'll see what I can do

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.