Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 Versa Hatchback.

I am about to replace the factory radio with aftermarket radio and have watched some YouTubes about how to do that and see that there might be a problem with the PASS AIR BAG indicator if I have to remove the wires from that indicator. In some cases it looks like one might be able to pop the whole indicator unit out without disconnecting the wires but maybe not.

I've read here that there is a procedure to reset that thing that seems to work most of the time.

I am wondering it I disconnect the battery before starting, and if I have to pull the wires from the PASS AIR BAG indicator, get everything put back together and reconnect the battery will that prevent the issue with the PASS AIR BAG indicator?

I would rather not have to go through the reset procedure if I don't have to although the reset instructions seem easy enough.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Disconnect the battery at least 5 minutes before you begin, and make sure the indicator is plugged in before reconnecting battery.
The reset procedure is easy. I have had to do it a time or 2 because I was an idiot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not had enough time to work on this project yet - I want to plan for some things to go wrong and be sure I'm not riding around with a big hole in the dash...

I will disconnect the battery for a while beforehand.

Do you think that procedure might/will work or do you know that procedure will work?

If you know that procedure will work how can it be you would have to do it a time or 2 already (so I don't have the same issue).

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have not had enough time to work on this project yet - I want to plan for some things to go wrong and be sure I'm not riding around with a big hole in the dash...

I will disconnect the battery for a while beforehand.

Do you think that procedure might/will work or do you know that procedure will work?
It will work.

If you know that procedure will work how can it be you would have to do it a time or 2 already (so I don't have the same issue).
I was an ID10T. Doing something minor, disconnected light, but not battery. Turn key on with light disconnected.........That is how I know it works!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally swapped the new unit in and found I did not need to unplug or disconnect the hazard switch or the SRS Airbag indicator.

The front panel on the dash swings down far enough and the connected cables have enough slack to get access to the four screws that hold the unit in and so far so good.

Appreciate the suggestions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A little late to this thread but thought I would mention that despite what I've also seen on the youtube how to vids, you don't have to disconnect the battery or panic about the airbag indicator.
All I have done is pry the panel forward from the top, reach through the opening for the radio and squeeze the top and bottom plastic flaps for the airbag light and pull it out. Once its out, the hazard light button can be removed or just left in and rest the bezel down on the shifter.
I've changed radios more than underwear over the last 2 weeks in this car. With the radio harness ready to go, it's less than 5 minutes to change out radios in these cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts