Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope i am in the right area!

My daughter has a 2007 Versa. When at very low speeds, perhaps from a stop to 5, maybe 10, mph, and turn the steering (i think mainly to the left, but possibly to the right also) there is a "clunk" that can be felt in the wheel and the car itself, which seems to be coming from the left (driver's side) front. Though i have replaced half-shafts and done other work on our other cars before, i am honestly pretty ignorant when it comes to steering.

Can anyone please tell me how to go about finding the specific problem? Once i know that much, i find YouTube usually shows how to handle, quite a change from my high school auto shop class back in 1974 where i first learned to hot-wire my dad's car (and burnt out the tail lights every time i did)...

Thank you VERY much!

·
Registered
627 Posts
It will most likely be one of 3 things.
1- Lower control arms/ ball joints
2- Tie rods
3- Strut bearings

To test for the first 2, jack the wheel off the ground. Grab tire at 12 and 6 and rock wheel up and down. If it clunks, ball joints.
Next grab at 3 and 9 and rock side to side. If it clunks, tie rods.
If all is solid, you may have a binding strut bearing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Keith!!! Wish i was making enough to just let a mechanic handle, but that hasn't been the case since roughly the year 2000... I much appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Versa S (manual transmission)
106 Posts
In addition to what was suggested above, you may also want to check for play in the stabilizer bar end links. Although, they make more of a tap/click sound than a "clunk" but when worn they do make noise.

You will have to take the load off of the wheel if the car is jacked up (when you check those).

What I do is put the car on jack stands and put a floor jack under the wheel (with a block of wood) and raise the jack just enough to take the load off the suspension, then you can check those stabilizer bar end links for play or noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had a chance to (finally) check the front wheels as described. With moderate yanking (i didn't know how much pushing/pulling i should apply), there was no movement at the 12-6 o'clock. With both front tires/wheels, there was less than an inch, perhaps a half inch, deflection on the 3-9 o'clock, which kind of felt more like what i would guess was normal steering movement (in all cases, the opposite tire was on the ground).

If the next step is to get underneath it and poke around per Desert Rodent, i do have jack stands!

Thank you very much for your help.

·
Registered
393 Posts
there should be no deflection at all, no movement.
That's probably the clunk you are hearing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In that the deflection is about the same on both sides, does that localize the problem to the stabilizer bar?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hate to admit it, but i am going to have to be more attentive when i drive it; will update when i know!

Thank you!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts