Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i drive a 2007 nissan versa hatchback with an automatic transmission
about a month ago my cd player stopped working as did the hatchback button... now while driving the car will randomly lose RPMs the steering wheel will lock up the car will come to a stop the headlights will turn off (all of this will happen at the same time) and i have to turn the car off and then turn it back on and hope it doesn't happen again. i have no idea what could be wrong and the place i usually take it too told me to look up the problems before they diagnose so they could hopefully save me that extra cost

another hopefully less pressing matter im having is the brake light comes on often while driving

please help if you have any idea what could be causing my incredibly dangerous problem

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Wow that is a crazy, almost unbelievable problem. I wouldn't drive it and spend the money to get it fixed. You can kill yourself or someone else with a steering wheel randomly locking.

When alot of odd things like this happen I have seen it be an old battery or failing alternator often.

Also in order to not clutter up the forum and so you can get all your responses in one place try not to post the same thing in multiple threads.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes take it in. Could be something as easy as bad ground. I don't think its alternator as they either work or they don't. When they go they simply stop working and you notice immediate issues. Mine went on one of our V's about a year and a half ago.

Could be battery, but I am thinking bad ground, loose cables on battery or corrosion on terminals, or worst case something shorting causing electrical problems.

I had a similar electrical problem years ago on another car and the dealer wanted to re-wire the entire car (it was an older used car). Took it to another mechanic and he determined simply bad connection to battery. Spent $5 to replace the negative cable connector to the battery and problem was solved.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Since the power steering is electric rather than hydraulic my guess is that the steering is not locked but is reduced to no power assist due to a loss of electrical power. Find the intermittent electrical connection and things will get back to normal.

Frank 2009 Versa S sedan MT-6 with 52400 miles

·
Registered
690 Posts
Typical of a bad ground, bad grounds will cause a ton of shit you didn't know a bad ground could cause. Check your grounds, there's a couple on the front "core support", the battery ground itself goes first to the chassis rail, then down to the tranny. Bad grounds cause the car to just lose it's mind. Freaks you out when you first experience it. High resistance or loose connections on the B+ charging circuit will cause this haywire behaviour too. It's a more modern charging system. Yeah, don't drive it until you fix it. If you think you did fix it, go road test it in an empty parking lot. Press every button, turn lights on, off, whatever you can think of, to make sure it operates normally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.