Nissan Versa Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Nothing personal but people claim struts are bad when they cannot find the cause of things. I haven't changed a strut on the last 4 cars I own and well over 200k miles on each. Yes, they get a little loose but unless you drive like a loon they handle perfectly fine within a normal performance envelope. I do not autocross or any other thing that presses them hard though, just drive the cars and normally. I also line up my cars without any machine and the tires hit full life pretty much 100% of the time.

Most of the struts I sold when I was in parts I was pretty sure were not needed other than to assuage owner brains, like so many other parts people change for no other reason.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have 10 years of experience as a mechanic and can tell when a car needs stocks/struts. There's no way for me to diagnose his car over the internet, but that was my suggestion, I also suggested he have a mechanic go over it.
Either way, a versa has very basic McPhearson strut suspension in the front, diagnosing it should be pretty straight forward

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a 2009 Versa for my daughter that had no wobble but after driving it home to Labrador, the gravel roads caused it to wobble bad all the time, not just on turns or at certain speeds. I replaced the struts and control arms, they needed to be changed to pass inspection, and the wobble went away but now it's back again but less wobble and it seems to be speed related, most noticeable around 30 mph. I checked the tires and there's no visible damage, my next step is to have them balanced, then maybe an alignment if that doesn't work. I've been using the same mechanic for many years now and he's always brutally honest about things and he couldn't pinpoint anything loose that would cause it to wobble but he wasn't really troubleshooting that, he was installing the other parts and had a quick check of things while he was doing it.

If I learn anything along the way I'll let you know, keep me posted on your progress.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The axles binding can also cause what feels like a wobble but that's usually at higher speeds and almost always under acceleration.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Worn tires wobble all day long and balancing or alignment won't touch that. The new struts because of added damping simply damped it up until they got a little loose, ALL shocks and struts loosen up some once they get in use a little bit.

Axles? Find a quiet parking lot and then steering to the limit and turn in constant circles left then right, you'll know then if it's axle. Axles binding from wear in a straight ahead direction are almost ALWAYS wrecked in tight turning, they will be clunking away. The extreme angle change then forces a hard pop over the straight ahead wear pattern. If not clunking or clicking it's not axle. As far as an inboard support bearing or CV joint, they almost always will make noise with any wobble to let you know what kind of problem is there.

Put each wheel in the air and a hands at 9 and 3 o'clock tug on the tire, looseness says tie rod which will wobble depending on how it is loaded driving.

I have another thread entry here close to this about rotation of tires on FWD cars and why I NEVER rotate as a matter of practice. It leads to just this issue if one of tire. Very common, I haven't seen a FWD car that didn't do it yet, it is inherent in the design. Yet nobody on the planet addresses it, other than to tell you you need 4 new tires, and that then wears out the 4 new tires quicker too. Go here and post #4 ...........

http://www.nissanversaforums.com/brakes-suspension/37321-will-tire-sensor-data-screwed-up-after-rotating-tires.html

Gravel roads present special issues. There is really no sense in balancing a tire that runs in gravel, the constant sticking of rocks in the tread will trash the balancing on an ongoing and constantly changing basis. Why I quit balancing years ago, my back drive is gravel. Waste of money, the wheels were checked for minimum out of balance themselves and then the tires just don't get it. The cars run smoothly up to 75-80 mph and all I need, yes, I can tell the slight difference in smoothness but not much at all and the tires still go max mileage. Here in Texas it will always be heat cracking or tire damage from road junk that takes them out anyway. The thing I said above about rotation has far more to do with tire wear than balancing, I have proved it out way more than once now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem

I appreciate this description, as I have been having the same issue for about a month or two. The wobble has gotten much worse in the past two weeks. It used to just be at speeds of 70mph+, but now it is coming and going at slower speeds as well. It's very concerning. I have not yet taken my car in to be looked at, just checked the engine mounts, and those were fine as far as my amateur eyes can tell. If you get the situation totally fixed I would be happy to hear more about this. I wasn't quite clear on whether getting different rims was a solution.

I have a 2011 Nissan Versa that just hit 80,000 miles this week.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I appreciate this description, as I have been having the same issue for about a month or two. The wobble has gotten much worse in the past two weeks. It used to just be at speeds of 70mph+, but now it is coming and going at slower speeds as well. It's very concerning. I have not yet taken my car in to be looked at, just checked the engine mounts, and those were fine as far as my amateur eyes can tell. If you get the situation totally fixed I would be happy to hear more about this. I wasn't quite clear on whether getting different rims was a solution.

I have a 2011 Nissan Versa that just hit 80,000 miles this week.
Check your wheels balance for starters.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
9 Participants
SlickVersa
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing