Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't get rid of the stinky exhaust smell. If I install a fouler will that give the ECU a different signal to adjust the air/fuel mixture better? There are a couple of guys out here using O2 simulators on there spec-v motors. Has anyone tried the simulator trick. I like the performance for these headers but that stinky lean smell has me worried. Also when I install the fouler does the CEL automatically turn off? If not how do I go about resetting it. aloha )<((((°›

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
the anti foulers have been done before on skunks car with a little hammer persuation with the heatshield. they fit and the CEL turned off immediately. not sure about the smell though

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I can't get rid of the stinky exhaust smell. If I install a fouler will that give the ECU a different signal to adjust the air/fuel mixture better? There are a couple of guys out here using O2 simulators on there spec-v motors. Has anyone tried the simulator trick. I like the performance for these headers but that stinky lean smell has me worried. Also when I install the fouler does the CEL automatically turn off? If not how do I go about resetting it. aloha )<((((°›
The simulator and anti fouler is for a rear O2 only. DO NOT put one on the front O2. You could potentially break your car.

If the smell is coming from under the hood or you can smell in cabin I think you might have a leak. If it's just out the tail pipe then you don't. If you feel the smell is your car running lean, which I highly doubt swapping out a header would do, then go to a dyno and do a run with air/fuel readout. Another option is to get an OBDII scanner with live data and monitor your O2 signals.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I want to smell it! That sounds weird I know. What is the smell exactly? Do our stock header have a precat? If so maybe the smell is our second cats failing since it's not made to handle so much work.

I'm just not understanding any of this because I have swapped out headers, hollowed cats, and changed exhausts and never had such a smell.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I want to smell it! That sounds weird I know. What is the smell exactly? Do our stock header have a precat? If so maybe the smell is our second cats failing since it's not made to handle so much work.

I'm just not understanding any of this because I have swapped out headers, hollowed cats, and changed exhausts and never had such a smell.
this is the stock header

the cat is on the downpipe

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
when you install the OBX header with flex pipe, it eliminates both of the stock cats, so thats what causes the smell...
wow both cats gone! That sucks as you can't pass a visual inspection then. Guess I would never get a header.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The simulator and anti fouler is for a rear O2 only. DO NOT put one on the front O2. You could potentially break your car.

If the smell is coming from under the hood or you can smell in cabin I think you might have a leak. If it's just out the tail pipe then you don't. If you feel the smell is your car running lean, which I highly doubt swapping out a header would do, then go to a dyno and do a run with air/fuel readout. Another option is to get an OBDII scanner with live data and monitor your O2 signals.
Mahalo for all of the input. The smell is coming out the tailpipe. At idle I have a rich smell and after acceleration I have a lean smell. I will be installing a BRM Catback system next week. Maybe that will give me a better idea. I will keep you guys posted. aloha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the anti foulers have been done before on skunks car with a little hammer persuation with the heatshield. they fit and the CEL turned off immediately. not sure about the smell though
mahalo Tango, I will try that if the simulator doesn't work. I know with those OBX headers the sensor is almost touching the heatshield. aloha Tony

·
Registered
430 Posts
I bought the angled defouler... I've had problems with sensors and defoulers sometimes the harness isn't long enough or as mentioned sometimes the sensor will be close to a heatshield causing a rattle

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
putting 2 foulers on top of eachother for this setup will fit, but will be tight. there won't be much slack for the sensor but it still reaches

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.