Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just recently picked up a 07 Nissan Versa HB and felt the stock brakes when depress down it does not break/slow the car initially but when it is depress 1/2 way it starts to grab and stop the car. Before we found the 2007 HB, we took a spin in a 2011 and the brakes felt quite strong and firm. Is it because is a newer car on the 2011? Anybody with older model had similar situation/problem. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
if the pedal is soft or spongy I would check the brake fluid. You may have a leak or air in the line. Has any brake work been performed lately? Take off the front tires and inspect for wetness around the lines and caliper itself. Also check the pads to see how worn they are and if all four front pads are worn evenly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I’m planning on having the brake fluid change. We got the car with only 20K miles on it. Pads all seems to have good life (checked the fronts but not the rear). Will look into it more next time. Thx for the reply!

·
Registered
41 Posts
how bout ajusting the rear brake. adjust the parking brake. i had similar problems with my v. after i adjusted the drum brake, brake pedal felt stonger.
to check if your brake system has air in it, with out starting the car, pump the brake pedal a few times then hold it and see if its holding pressure. if it still feels spongy, than for sure there is air in the brake system and you will have to find the souce of the leak.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
How many miles are on the car. If less then 36k you can bring it to a nissan dealership and have it looked at under warranty.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
We just recently picked up a 07 Nissan Versa HB and felt the stock brakes when depress down it does not break/slow the car initially but when it is depress 1/2 way it starts to grab and stop the car. Before we found the 2007 HB, we took a spin in a 2011 and the brakes felt quite strong and firm. Is it because is a newer car on the 2011? Anybody with older model had similar situation/problem. Thanks in advance!

I have a 2007HB with 85,000 miles on and it still feels pretty strong.
maybe because I dont' drive fast so I'm easy with them and I hardly ever have to hit the brakes hard :yikes:

Do you have to pull the E-brake real high up to the last click?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmm I dont know how to say it but like you have to hit the brakes 1/2 way to start to grab. I'll take a look at it tmr since suspension be going on. Will check the pads on all 4 to see if is uneven wear.

Tried pumping the brakes w/o starting, build/hold pressure just a bit soft but still quite firm.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pads on both front seems all good and even. Since bk are drums not going to the ext to check them lol!

Will be doing some brake work shortly and flush, will see how that goes and the feel afterwards.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Pads on both front seems all good and even. Since bk are drums not going to the ext to check them lol!

Will be doing some brake work shortly and flush, will see how that goes and the feel afterwards.
In every car I've ever owned the fronts wear twice as fast as the rears. And I heard drums and shoes last even longer. So if the fronts are meaty the rears I'm willing to bet are still like new. You have another issue here.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
In every car I've ever owned the fronts wear twice as fast as the rears. And I heard drums and shoes last even longer. So if the fronts are meaty the rears I'm willing to bet are still like new. You have another issue here.
From our own vehicles at home it seems drums do last longer. Chuckie (170km) is on original drums along with the Sunfire (200+km).

Versa is almost at 50km and so far everything appears to be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I'm approaching 70k and my fronts look brand new. I have a different driving style of most where I use the brakes as little as possible. Remember every time you hit that brake pedal you have just transferred gasoline which you used to accelerate the vehicle into heat from the friction of the pads squeezing the rotor. In other words braking causes lower mpg's.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Well then, I'm surprise there aren't more accidents on the road then lol. Cause with these gas prices people might consider braking less then.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
Well then, I'm surprise there aren't more accidents on the road then lol. Cause with these gas prices people might consider braking less then.
braking less doesn't equal unsafe driving. I simply don't floor the gas to come up to a red light and stop to wait. I coast up to it so that way it's green when I get there. I don't ride peoples asses so I'm constantly playing the speed up, brake, speed up game. I leave enough room so when I see the brake lights come on I simply let off the gas. By the time I'm within a car length they have already started speeding up. I also let off the gas and coast up to turns so I don't have to brake much or at all coming around the turn. Only problem with the turning is I do it so gradually that my blinkers don't auto shut off and they are often clicking for several miles.

All these tactics increase fuel economy greatly. They are hardly noticed by passenger so they aren't really even extreme. I must say though after driving this way for awhile you will notice when your a passenger in someones car everytime they are wasting gas. You will also noticed the neck jerking affects of them braking :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
I just had my V inspected last week. Also, had my tires rotated. I have noticed for the past few days, if at a stop light with foot on brake, pedal will sink to floor.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could be is quite moist and wet in our area. Brakes are next to look at and upgrade.

We also hv been keeping track of our gas mileage. We got the car for about 2 months now and avg around 28-30mpg, mix use more on city. Decent?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got around and had a brake change/flush today. The soft pedal feel and depressing like 1/2 way before it will brake is pretty much gone!

Highly recommend doing a brake flush every 30K miles. The fluid that was flush out was dark. Quite happy to get a firmer pedal feel on the car

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
braking less doesn't equal unsafe driving. I simply don't floor the gas to come up to a red light and stop to wait. I coast up to it so that way it's green when I get there. I don't ride peoples asses so I'm constantly playing the speed up, brake, speed up game. I leave enough room so when I see the brake lights come on I simply let off the gas. By the time I'm within a car length they have already started speeding up. I also let off the gas and coast up to turns so I don't have to brake much or at all coming around the turn. Only problem with the turning is I do it so gradually that my blinkers don't auto shut off and they are often clicking for several miles.

All these tactics increase fuel economy greatly. They are hardly noticed by passenger so they aren't really even extreme. I must say though after driving this way for awhile you will notice when your a passenger in someones car everytime they are wasting gas. You will also noticed the neck jerking affects of them braking :)
How true, smooth=less fuel and :)passengers. And in the corners, momentum is my friend...:woot:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.