Nissan Versa Forums banner

Strut brace ride issues?

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ADOversa 
#1 ·
Hi, I am thinking of adding a front strut bar and a rear sway bar (probably the UR bars since people seem to like them and I could afford to get both bars right now as opposed to just one...anyone have any thoughts on the UR bars?) and the general consensus seems to be the it firms up the handling and improves cornering, reduces body roll, etc. But my question is this: what does it do to the ride? Do you find things are bumpier after installing the bars? Is it annoying? Do you like it better? Could you live with it for long highway hauls (3 hours and up) or crappy roads? I get that the handling will be better but how's the ride? Thanks!

#2 ·
Thats a good question, never thought about it like that. I would like to hear an answer for that.

#3 ·
The front strut bar only helps when your cornering by keeping the towers from flexing so while your driving you won't notice a thing.

On the rear sway bar the only ones that work to a degree are adjustable versions, the ones that just follow the rear beam don'e really due much of anything...if you could see how heavy that beam is you would understand and if you know of somebody that has one (the UR installed) just take a look at the beam/bar while the person is pushing on the bumper to make the suspension work...nothing is happening to that setup....I can't explain it unless you can actually see it....did that here with somebody that bought one...then he could see that it really didn't do anything....it's more Physiological.

So I would recommend the front strut bar and pass on the rear and just go to some autoX's and get seat time....it's cheaper and more fun! :)

#4 ·
Thanks for the info!

Yeah something solid in the back like that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me given that the Versa already has a torsion beam rear suspension right?

As for the front bar, do you think the UR is a good choice given its cheaper price and seemingly simpler build (doesn't look as good either but I don't reallly care about that) or am I better off going with a more expensive brand like DC or the Nismo one, or the GTSpec? The Nismo and GTSpec look awesome and seem to have a very different style of construction than the DC or the UR...any insight you can offer? I'd much rather spend $79 than $180 if all things are equal.

#5 ·
i got the DC strut bar, it was my first mod i love it. it looks more solid than the other ones IMO.

#6 ·
I have the DC strut bar also. Overall I love it. cornering is improved. I think it may be slightly bumpier, but not that bad.

#8 · (Edited)
I just put a Tanabe front strut brace on. It makes all the differance in the world. It was even obvious to the wife! The car tracks much better even with the stock continintals. Handling is better especially in cornering. In was a little pricey (175 bucks installed) but hey, it was definatly worth it.

I have not noticed any differance in bumpiness, it seems about the same.

#9 ·
I just put a Tanabe front strut brace on. It makes all the differance in the world. It was even obvious to the wife! The car tracks much better even with the stock continintals. Handling is better especially in cornering.
Man, I gotta getta strut brace! Perfect bang-for-your-buck for On-Ramp-GT-Racer like me:DThanks for the post:thumb2:

#11 ·
They are ridiculously easy to install, 4 nuts to loosen then retighten, shouldn't take you more than 5-10 minutes. As the versaspeed poster said, you will not notice a difference in ride quality (bumpy or whatnot) at all, the only difference you will notice is in cornering. And you will notice a difference in cornering.

The stiffer the bar the better.... and I gotta say that one looks slightly more stiff than a wet noodle. Check out the UltraRacing strut tower brace, it is still pretty inexpensive, but is a good bang for your buck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.