Nissan Versa Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im currently trying to install some new shocks everything went smooth until it was time to remove the strut mount actually the nut whichever direction I turn to remove the nut the rubber that's around the nut turns with it it seems the rubber has to be held down or still to work its kind of hard to explain any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
im currently trying to install some new shocks everything went smooth until it was time to remove the strut mount actually the nut whichever direction I turn to remove the nut the rubber that's around the nut turns with it it seems the rubber has to be held down or still to work its kind of hard to explain any help would be greatly appreciated.
It won't be ease to remove without an impact gun. Having said that, if you're not using the strut again, you may be able to get some vice grips on the shaft tight enough to keep it from moving while you undo the top nut with a socket wrench. However, if you got access to an impact gun, several quick taps on the trigger should be enough to get it off.

·
Registered
56 Posts

http://c1552172.r72.cf0.rackcdn.com/260920_x800.jpg

I used allen wrench in muddle part and ratcheting wrench outer hold allen wrench still turn other.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The center of the strut shaft accepts a hex key. You will need to get an open ratchet or wrench around the strut bolt, and hold the shaft in place with a hex key. It's really not difficult, you just need the right tools.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've never had luck with the hexs at the top. They have always stripped out on me. If it works for you, that's great! If they strip then you always have the vice grip option.

·
Registered
691 Posts
^^ It's because that's the first spot the strut shaft rusts, you need to seat it all the way with a hammer. Here in Canada mine were so bad when installing my springs that the RH strut nut was too rusted to get anything on. Ended up compressing spring, then drilling the shaft out until it was past the nut, of course it just falls apart from there (I was putting new struts in anyways). If you still have the protective caps for the strut mounts, make sure you seal them with dielectric grease or a heavy silicone lube after installing the struts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a bad front passenger strut on my 2012 Nissan Versa Sedan.
Most places think that this car has the same assembly as a 2007-2011 versa and the pictures has 3 bolts asttaching the strut assembly, while my car has the same picture as you showed on the first post.

I'm probably going to get a used assembly from a 2015 versa as it looks like the 2012 uses the same suspension as it.
My car has 133k on it, so pretty decent usage.

Has anyone replaced the suspension on this car, and any advice?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,105 Posts
My best purchase as a backyard mechanic with no air is an electric impact wrench. I got 20% ff with a coupon from a car magazine. Now I can do everything the big boys can including breaking grade 8 hardware. >:D

Electric Impact Wrench - 1/2"

·
Registered
674 Posts
My best purchase as a backyard mechanic with no air is an electric impact wrench. I got 20% ff with a coupon from a car magazine. Now I can do everything the big boys can including breaking grade 8 hardware. >:D

Electric Impact Wrench - 1/2"
Same here.............Trying to remove the pulley nut of my alternator made me a firm believer in using an impact wrench to make the job easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
pimperell
Nissan Versa Forums
We’re a forum community dedicated to Nissan Versa owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion on performance, troubleshooting, accessories, purchasing, maintenance and more!
Full Forum Listing