Nissan Versa Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Unfortuntey my nissan (infiniti g35) is in the shop so ive been given this versa! Actually a really fun agile car, but I cant figure out what the "L" on the auto shift knob means. I dont have an owners manual and was unable to find the answer online.

thanks!

·
Registered
638 Posts
"Low" Gives improved torque and traction for hills

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yes looks like you have a CVT auto. They just have D for regular Drive and L for Low gear only.

The 4speed Autos will have D, 2 and 1 for the gearing.

·
Registered
690 Posts
How's that G35 been for you? Coupe? Manual? I want one someday.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Thought it was for Lazy ;) Welcome!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes looks like you have a CVT auto. They just have D for regular Drive and L for Low gear only.

The 4speed Autos will have D, 2 and 1 for the gearing.
Thats so cool! In ways it felt funky because it wasnt switching gears when I would expect, yet it felt so smooth all thw time. This explains everything. So when in "L" does it only keep the car geared lower? Or does it also affect the torque band?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How's that G35 been for you? Coupe? Manual? I want one someday.
The G35 has provided the most rewarding ownership experience that any man could ask for. It can be pricey for consumbles such as gas and brakes, but for me at least its been killer reliable. While on the track I only get around 6 mpg, but regardless I still get more smiles per gallon then on my motorbike.

And yes I got the 07 6mt (like you) coupe. I would highly suggest purchasing one for a recrational vehicle, although as a daily driver its not very practical if your driving it hard.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thats so cool! In ways it felt funky because it wasnt switching gears when I would expect, yet it felt so smooth all thw time. This explains everything. So when in "L" does it only keep the car geared lower? Or does it also affect the torque band?

Thanks
Hi, maybe gearing is the wrong word to use. Since CVT uses a steel belt between two clutches - a primary and secondary.

The primary clutch is an advanced form of centrifugal clutch and is typically mounted to the output end of the engine crankshaft. The clutch has two sheave faces; one that is laterally fixed (stationary sheave), and one that can move in and out to engage the belt (moveable sheave). In most systems, at idle the sheave surfaces are spread at their widest spacing, the belt is riding on the post or shaft at the smallest diameter of the clutch, and the belt is not pinched by the sheave faces. This provides a “neutral” position that allows the engine to idle without transmitting power to the wheels.

The secondary clutch is mounted to the input shaft of the transmission, transaxle, or the like. In modern CVT systems such as those used in recreational vehicles, the secondary clutch has two functions: as a “slave” to the primary clutch and to provide a torque sensing element.

The belt in most CVT systems is a heavy duty “V-belt” which is V-shaped in cross section. They are made of rubber components reinforced with Kevlar and other materials to enhance durability.

So in "L", it positions the belt to a point where it revs high but your speed is slow. I think you can hit 6K rpm at about 20 or 25KM per hour type thing. It would be the equivalent to "1" in a normal Auto.

See this link for a .pdf document that explains Nissan's CVT in more details with pics.

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/DOCUMENT/PDF/TECHNOLOGY/technology_overview/CVT_Apr.06E_A4.pdf

·
Registered
690 Posts
Simple explanation: An input and output gear (s) with infinite diameter possibilities, to a point. With the rest being a conventional final drive like normal. Low range would limit the diameter change to smaller. Simple lever principles. When you have a reduction you get a torque increase and a speed decrease.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! I looked up CVT's after I saw it mentioned on this thread. What an amazing, yet simple piece of technology! Only bad thing about CVT's is that I can't see manual transmissions surviving much longer while having to compete with the superior technology :/

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Haha thanks! I didnt think id be here for long, but my mind is already playing dirty tricks on me. Ive found myself considering buying a versa once tue rental goes back
Versa not a track star, but fortunately u already have one. Versa does the super size econobox pretty well eh?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.